• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland BN-20 Perf Cut Question

NickB

I've recently discovered the Perf Cut option on our printer but can't seem to get a clean perf cut. I have the maxxed the amount of pressure the option has. I have also changed out the blade, to see if I simply had a dull blade. Currently have loaded Roland premium cast vinyl with a 45 Degree carbide blade. Do I need to adjust different settings, or maybe a different style blade.

Thanks,
NickB

NickB

Side note, I am not expecting it to completely go through the backing. When I try to punch it out it pulls on the backing and no where near comes out clean like in this video.

[video=youtube;Zhqyj5paX0M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhqyj5paX0M[/video]

10:25 min mark for reference

oksigns

blade type is based on the material your cutting.

the basic 45 is fine for your typical vinyl and laminates.

if you are maxing out the perf cut pressure, your cutting pad/strip is probably toast, causing the blade to never connect to a flat surface to give a good cut. Imagine taking an xacto knife to a sheet of paper on a plush carpet.

in these "discovery" instances, you may have already damaged the blades so it is hard to gauge performance- but your pad is probably toast if you have been maxing out pressure.

NickB

blade type is based on the material your cutting.

the basic 45 is fine for your typical vinyl and laminates.

if you are maxing out the perf cut pressure, your cutting pad/strip is probably toast, causing the blade to never connect to a flat surface to give a good cut. Imagine taking an xacto knife to a sheet of paper on a plush carpet.

in these "discovery" instances, you may have already damaged the blades so it is hard to gauge performance- but your pad is probably toast if you have been maxing out pressure.

Thanks for the tip, but question more for what you brought up. My normal cuts for weeding work perfectly fine, even with the previous/current blade. This would be the first time I have had that setting even remotely close to that setting. Knowing that would you still agree with what you brought up? If damage is done, then so be it will just need to get that fixed as well. Is there any physical signs I should look for to determine if the pad is "toast."

oksigns

Thanks for the tip, but question more for what you brought up. My normal cuts for weeding work perfectly fine, even with the previous/current blade. This would be the first time I have had that setting even remotely close to that setting. Knowing that would you still agree with what you brought up? If damage is done, then so be it will just need to get that fixed as well. Is there any physical signs I should look for to determine if the pad is "toast."

So these situations always end with the same result; that you can't cut any deeper than a "contour" cut- a shallow cut that you would weed out. When your pad has met the end of its' lifespan, you will never get "cut all the way through the backer" performance especially when the blade is worn down or dull.

So it does not matter if your contour cuts look fine, because the ultimate test for performance is cutting through the backer cleanly, and your pad is the first thing to look at.

Actually, you should always gauge the cutting pad's health so you can time a replacement before you need to do a ton of perf cuts and risk having to clean it all up by hand.

NickB

So these situations always end with the same result; that you can't cut any deeper than a "contour" cut- a shallow cut that you would weed out. When your pad has met the end of its' lifespan, you will never get "cut all the way through the backer" performance especially when the blade is worn down or dull.

So it does not matter if your contour cuts look fine, because the ultimate test for performance is cutting through the backer cleanly, and your pad is the first thing to look at.

Actually, you should always gauge the cutting pad's health so you can time a replacement before you need to do a ton of perf cuts and risk having to clean it all up by hand.

I will look into a new cutting pad, Ultimately no time was wasted considering I cut by hand til today. I will post an update if this is the remedy. Thanks for the help.