• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Bn 20

m303625

Hi all
question for those that may know
Why can't you use white ink instead of metallic in this machine, from what i understand both the white and metallic ink needs the recycle system to keep the pigments from settling! Why should the machine care if a white cart is inserted where the metallic goes? Is the problem with versaworks not able to print a white underlay for the color on a clear stock for example?
anybody??
thanks in advance

DRamm76

Because if Roland gave it the ability to print either White OR Metallic and had to raise the price by $500 to cover the cost of giving it the capabilities to do so, people would then say "why is it more money?"

ThinkRight

I asked the dealer the same question,he said the white ink is a different consistency .Something about it will separate and chalky pigment will kill the head.
Maybe a real sign maker here knows.It was just what they told me,

WildWestDesigns

I asked the dealer the same question,he said the white ink is a different consistency .Something about it will separate and chalky pigment will kill the head.
Maybe a real sign maker here knows.It was just what they told me,

It's the titanium oxide in white ink that will kill the heads. It doesn't like to sit. If you get a machine that prints white, try to make sure that you either do very routine ink cleans or you keep busy with having to print on dark substrates.

Custom_Grafx

Because if Roland gave it the ability to print either White OR Metallic and had to raise the price by $500 to cover the cost of giving it the capabilities to do so, people would then say "why is it more money?"

+1

The option is there, it's called the VS series. Roland has even been good enough about it to offer 4 sizes, which not a lot (if any) of other companies do. The 30, 42, 54 and 60". IMO getting a VS300 would be a much wiser decision in the mid term, and a 54" would be good for a longer term buy. In saying that though, I think you'll find most metallic/white stuff isn't going to be 54" wide... so it'd work out really well for you if you started with a vs300, then when/if the time came, keep it for the metallic/white stuff, then get a vs540 (as dual cmyk or 6 colour) for the larger format stuff - best of both worlds.

Or... if you're doing a lot of spot colour stuff, consider a gerber edge too?

ThinkRight

It's the titanium oxide in white ink that will kill the heads. It doesn't like to sit. If you get a machine that prints white, try to make sure that you either do very routine ink cleans or you keep busy with having to print on dark substrates.

I knew a real sign maker would know.

MakeMyGraphic

Wow.... I really want a versacamm bn-20 when I can afford one... But you just made me smile with what old equipment I currently have :)

DRamm76

Wow.... I really want a versacamm bn-20 when I can afford one... But you just made me smile with what old equipment I currently have :)

Nice..I dont know why people have a tendancy to "date" their equipment. I have guys who have Roland SP-300s..before the V's and they take such good care of it..use Roland inks and one guy is about to change his first head and he is WAAAAAAAYYY Above the shot count limit. He takes amazing care of it and has had tremendous luck.

Take care of your machine and it will last.

WildWestDesigns

Nice..I dont know why people have a tendancy to "date" their equipment. I have guys who have Roland SP-300s..before the V's and they take such good care of it..use Roland inks and one guy is about to change his first head and he is WAAAAAAAYYY Above the shot count limit. He takes amazing care of it and has had tremendous luck.

Take care of your machine and it will last.

Isn't that the truth. I still have the first single head babyloc machine that I got when I started getting into embroidery commercially. It still uses the 3.5 floppy disks, but it also accepts CF cards, but only to 512MBs (or something like that) and it can't be any of the newer tech ones either. Has to be the older tech.

Still stitches true and is in tip top condition. I use it for the really low run stuff, since it's just a single head and can't be networked with others.

Mosh

Here is a question...why is it every time I pick my nose it gets full again in a few minutes???? Same answer.