• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland CAMM-1 PNC-1000

heatherbella

Hi All! I'm new around here. I inherited my dad's old vinyl cutter when he passed away. It's one of the tanks, a PNC-1000! It works great on his Windows 98 PC but I'm trying to migrate it to my Windows 10 machine. I know, a crazy idea but I just thought it might work! I'm connecting it to a serial port using the serial cable but nothing is working. I go into SignLab and choose the proper driver in the File > Install menu and then go over to Cut > Plotting Defaults and set everything up there. It just won't cut! The packets are sent to the COM port but nothing happens. I've tried multiple different setting per my google search of this page but nothing works.

My dad was using the parallel cable so I thought perhaps there was an issue with the serial port or my settings so I hooked it up to his Windows 98 PC using the serial port and it works just fine! One thing I noticed is when I go into the Control Panel > Printers in the Windows 98 PC I see it as a device using "SignLab Output Driver" but when I follow the steps I think are right on the Windows 10 machine it doesn't show up in there. I feel like I'm missing a step. I've tried installing a newer printer driver from the Roland website but every time I do that it seems to hold the COM port and then SignLab gives a 'port unavailable' error.

attachment.php

Any suggestions you can offer would be excellent! Thanks in advance!

Heather

Attachments

• 20160202_145126.jpg
    20160202_145126.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 3,506

Ragnabrok

ugh, these things are always fun trying to backdate. First of all, your windows 10 PC has a LPT port on it?! i haven't seen one attached to a new PC in a decade, so i'd assume it's either PCI or some type of USB conversion cable? Finding drivers that work happily vary pretty dramatically between these things.

I set up a CM-24 not terribly long ago on a win 10 machine, using a USB->serial cable, it was basically a process of elimination using every port and output format until, at least in the particular case, it was com4, out of flexi that made things happen.

Stormyj

Just another guy
I have never been able to get my pnc to work on anything but xp. I have a dedicated pc for that cutter. I think it has something to do with the way the cutter communicates with windows. And, the software, Signmate, only works on XP. Good luck.

heatherbella

Thanks for the replies! My motherboard had a COM connector so I attached this little baby straight to the motherboard and then screwed the serial cable into it.

attachment.php

The COM1 port shows up in Device Manager and it's the only COM port. There is no LPT port on my computer that I know of. I do have a serial to USB adapter but I was really hoping to use this port so that I don't have to use up a USB port as it doesn't have many. I COULD install an XP virtual machine but I would love it if I didn't have to go through all that. I've done that on my work PC and it's a pain...but less of a pain than having a dedicated Windows 98 machine! HA HA HA!

Attachments

• 12650863_10153718216071273_8852462313533551805_n.jpg
    12650863_10153718216071273_8852462313533551805_n.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 2,124

Ragnabrok

If memory serves me, there should be a dip switch board near the power cable. It shows the baud rate, parity and interrupt, maybe the irq as well. The driver settings should be set to the dip values, or vise versa. The plotter can also be added as a device in windows, and at least for testing you can use a free program like Dr. Stika to check comms.

It's do-able, but may take an unhappy amount of pissing around.

heatherbella

It's do-able, but may take an unhappy amount of pissing around.

Oh yes, I've been in that state for days now...but now this is a challenge I want to overcome.

I couldn't find dip switches but in the menus I do see the COM port settings. I used those on the Windows 98 PC and it worked fine.

Robin Kutzer

Hi All! I'm new around here. I inherited my dad's old vinyl cutter when he passed away. It's one of the tanks, a PNC-1000! It works great on his Windows 98 PC but I'm trying to migrate it to my Windows 10 machine. I know, a crazy idea but I just thought it might work! I'm connecting it to a serial port using the serial cable but nothing is working. I go into SignLab and choose the proper driver in the File > Install menu and then go over to Cut > Plotting Defaults and set everything up there. It just won't cut! The packets are sent to the COM port but nothing happens. I've tried multiple different setting per my google search of this page but nothing works.

My dad was using the parallel cable so I thought perhaps there was an issue with the serial port or my settings so I hooked it up to his Windows 98 PC using the serial port and it works just fine! One thing I noticed is when I go into the Control Panel > Printers in the Windows 98 PC I see it as a device using "SignLab Output Driver" but when I follow the steps I think are right on the Windows 10 machine it doesn't show up in there. I feel like I'm missing a step. I've tried installing a newer printer driver from the Roland website but every time I do that it seems to hold the COM port and then SignLab gives a 'port unavailable' error.

attachment.php

Heather

Bergalhu

Have you tryed to change the communication from parallel to serial in the plotter menu? I believe your plotter is set to use parallel port in her own menu options.
Cheers
Bergalhu

copps

Hello I use it in virtual vmware workstion player 16 as a windows98SE on windows host . It runs with old Software Procut 1+.
Which software for cutting do you have used. ? i am serching for - at time a prepare with Corel 3 and export into .eps and use the Procut for Cutiing

Attila Nagy

I see this is an old post, but I need to tell you, any Cutter can Be used on Win10, Win7 or MacOS without any Virtual downgraded system. Specially Roland ones.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
true, attila
they are, however, the exact opposite of plug and play, which everyone has been spoiled by
configuring a serial port is almost a lost art now.

i can remember setting up my first microtek scanner in 1992 (?) perhaps.
it was SCSI with a proprietary interface card (no adaptec!) and you had to start by finding an unused memory address range

not for the faint of heart

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
It works fine in XP-32 bit - with no extra software for cutting - just Print Preview, frm Corel, and as long as you have hairline outline selected, it'll plot - when all parameters are set correctly.
However I have given up trying with any 64 bit system and Win 7 onwards, Virtual or not.
XP-32 and Corel X3 are happy.

natallica

Graphics Guru
Is the serial port disabled in the BIOS? Just a thought. Some newer PCs/servers have this disabled by default to free up resources seeing as they are not widely used nowadays (if equipped)

-N8

copps

attachment.php

Heather
I have on WIndows 10 running PNC -1000 in CmwarePlayer as a VM with WIndows 98se with corel 3/5 all ok as long years before under Win 3.11 ......
Also I have installed diretly under WIndows 10 the GX-24 Driver with LPT1 choosen and Corel 8 and Cutstudio .

attachment.php

Heather

attachment.php

Heather