• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Color Issue - Grey/Green Prints Magenta

Hello!

I have been dreading this job since February, when it was quoted, and now it is finally time to send to print after waiting on customer approval for so long. This shop has wrapped this client's vehicles in the past, but their artwork files have not been well organized by previous designers. I am left in the dark as to how they set-up the files for print.

I am attempting to print a vehicle wrap on Avery Air-release vinyl (MPI11o5SC). Working on a Roland Soljet Pro III XC-540, running Versaworks v.5.5.

I downloaded the media profile off of Avery's website. The colors I'm having issues with printing are like a grey-ish/green gradient.
With "Pre-press U.S." preset, the colors come out magenta. When I change it to "Density Control Only" The colors are almost there, but it's still too saturated, too much of a yellow hue, and muddy-looking.
I have attempted to print CMYK and RGB files, PDFs, EPS, TIFFS...no luck. I'm thinking it must be a color profile setting issue somewhere?

Any advice would be super appreciated. I have spent the past two work days scouring the web for any way to resolve this, I contacted one of the previous designers (they asked if the cyan head was firing, I ran a test, there were come drop outs, so I sent it to clean, and that was it). I even sent an email to corporate's go-to guy for software/POS/MachineQuestions, but am still awaiting a response if he can help.

Files attached show my results, and an example of what it should actually come out to be.

Attachments

• JELART.jpg
    JELART.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 758
  • JEL2.jpg
    JEL2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 577

SlikGRFX

I used to have problems like this when printing wallpaper.

Which software are you using to create the artwork? Is the original artwork vector based?

CL Visual

I've used Roland printers and VW for a long time and have never seen an issue like this from a flattened tiff. I would recommend bringing into photoshop, flatten image, put the mode in RGB, and export with Adobe 1998 RGB profile. If you still get the same issues, I'd be very surprised.

I've used Roland printers and VW for a long time and have never seen an issue like this from a flattened tiff. I would recommend bringing into photoshop, flatten image, put the mode in RGB, and export with Adobe 1998 RGB profile. If you still get the same issues, I'd be very surprised.

I'll give that a shot this morning and let you know how it goes!

LarryB

Try printing a sample with pre press and use the generic Roland profile. Make sure you laminate it and take it outside to see the colors. We print a lot of 3M and have had this issue using the 3M profile.

CJ-NYC

Hello!

I have been dreading this job since February, when it was quoted, and now it is finally time to send to print after waiting on customer approval for so long. This shop has wrapped this client's vehicles in the past, but their artwork files have not been well organized by previous designers. I am left in the dark as to how they set-up the files for print.

I am attempting to print a vehicle wrap on Avery Air-release vinyl (MPI11o5SC). Working on a Roland Soljet Pro III XC-540, running Versaworks v.5.5.

I downloaded the media profile off of Avery's website. The colors I'm having issues with printing are like a grey-ish/green gradient.
With "Pre-press U.S." preset, the colors come out magenta. When I change it to "Density Control Only" The colors are almost there, but it's still too saturated, too much of a yellow hue, and muddy-looking.
I have attempted to print CMYK and RGB files, PDFs, EPS, TIFFS...no luck. I'm thinking it must be a color profile setting issue somewhere?

Any advice would be super appreciated. I have spent the past two work days scouring the web for any way to resolve this, I contacted one of the previous designers (they asked if the cyan head was firing, I ran a test, there were come drop outs, so I sent it to clean, and that was it). I even sent an email to corporate's go-to guy for software/POS/MachineQuestions, but am still awaiting a response if he can help.

Files attached show my results, and an example of what it should actually come out to be.

I seem to recall that with some VW profiles if you try to use a spot color that doesn't exist, it goes to a default color that's very prominent and wrong.
Check the file to see if the client used a "made-up" spot color. Sometimes client's do that. They take a color swatch and rename it to "My Special Color" or some such, and when the RIP reads it, it doesn't know what the hell to do with it and sets it to a garish default color. Maybe go into the file and reset that particular color to a known pantone color that works and reprint.

Also, check for transparencies. I've had clients that used an excessive number of them and again it confuses the RIP.

Joe House

Shifts in greyish colors are usually due to a non-linearized profile. Since you're still using an XC-540, I would guess that the heads have quite a few miles on them by now and may not be up to par with a healthy machine that was used to create the profile to begin with. (Even 2 subsequent printers off the same production line can have differences, not to mention possible environmental differences that can affect this as well) Once you balance out the profile to your particular printer in your shop, you should see some improvement. It sounds like you've used these files before for this client, so I wouldn't mess with those at this point.

PK

I print greys but change the colour adjustments .Cyan - 1 ,Magenta -3,Yellow -1,Black left on 0 .
Under Quality ,Colour management is set to Density control only
Hope this helps
Paul