• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland colors printing with banding

klingsdesigns

Attached is the same file only differnce is the one without banding has pantone colors. The darker one is roland colors from the swatches. Why would the roland colors show banding and not the other?

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,187

ProPDF

Sometimes lowering the heater settings can help especially with aftermarket ink that tends to dry faster than oem. Make sure there isn't a ton of tension on the rear media coming off the roll. Also you can check calibration settings with a few test.

klingsdesigns

Sometimes lowering the heater settings can help especially with aftermarket ink that tends to dry faster than oem. Make sure there isn't a ton of tension on the rear media coming off the roll. Also you can check calibration settings with a few test.

Why would it only do it on some colors? I am using roland inks. I never have tension on the roll and i have it calibrated correct.

printhog

the media advance calibration of the printer is slightly off. calibrate it. thickness of materials affects advancement. use a 10x loupe to see the calibration test. dont rely on your eyes.

if calibrated dead on, and still doing it, you may want to switch to a higher output resolution, some colors with moderate black values can do this.

Its common for rips to replace some of the CMY build with K, this is called grey component replacement, or GCR. Its defined in the ICC profile process. If so, spot and rgb colors will convert with that while colors made with a hard CMYK callout will not. This is why the roland vs pms color issue, but it isnt the cause of the print defect I'm seeing here.

Lower platen temps will help ink wetting and flow, but not for the black values you're after..

ink type makes no difference.

klingsdesigns

the media advance calibration of the printer is slightly off. calibrate it. thickness of materials affects advancement. use a 10x loupe to see the calibration test. dont rely on your eyes.

if calibrated dead on, and still doing it, you may want to switch to a higher output resolution, some colors with moderate black values can do this.

Its common for rips to replace some of the CMY build with K, this is called grey component replacement, or GCR. Its defined in the ICC profile process. If so, spot and rgb colors will convert with that while colors made with a hard CMYK callout will not. This is why the roland vs pms color issue, but it isnt the cause of the print defect I'm seeing here.

Lower platen temps will help ink wetting and flow, but not for the black values you're after..

ink type makes no difference.

I have adjust the feed calibration with no difference. I cant switch to a higher output. Printing on 3165RA and the profile has only 720x720. I looked at my swatches for the control tac and it looks like the same colors that are doing it on 3165ra are doing it on control tac also just not as noticeable.

printhog

You might check your rip. Some of them have the calibration setting included in the media profile. If so it overrides the printers setting. Those colors are a bit challenging on some machines. Just as a test, see if the bidirectional test is outta whack. It shouldn't apply to that axis, but it may a contributor.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

oksigns

If I saw that same banding frequency on my Roland, I'd manually clean around the heads and check for dirt/dust/hairs.

Without seeing what those prints look like in detail, you may be dealing with saturation issue and you will want to examine the profile your using.

klingsdesigns

I checked for the bidirectional and that is dead on so i decided to clean the heads, wipers, and docking station. No difference. I read somewhere else that some swatches will print like that from rolands colors. So i guess i will find a pantone close to the same color.

klingsdesigns

It has to be a profile issue. Not sure what is best for 3165RA gloss. I have the one from the roland site and the orafol site and they both have banding.

Tried printing with GCVP on hi quality and cmyk w pass helped out for this job. Going to try and print color chart again with the same settings and see what happens.

phototec

It has to be a profile issue. Not sure what is best for 3165RA gloss. I have the one from the roland site and the orafol site and they both have banding.

Tried printing with GCVP on hi quality and cmyk w pass helped out for this job. Going to try and print color chart again with the same settings and see what happens.

This may sound crazy, but try LBV2 on High Quality, reduce head speed to 400, Color management to Sign&Dispaly and see if that helps.