• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland FJ 50 dumping all my ink...HELP!

zooms

Hi guys, thanks for reading this. I have an old FJ 50 converted to eco solvent, and recently installed a new head. After doing that, it dumped all the ink into the waste from the 3 colors attached to that head overnight while sitting idle. I called my tech guy who said to change out dampers as it may have air in there. So I bought and installed 3 new ink cartridges, and put on new dampers. I printed several meters with no problems, and made sure all lines had no air when I put the machine to sleep. I have woken to find that it has now dumped all 6 colors into the waste tank. Completely empty!! The waste overflowed everywhere. I am hesitant to install inks now as it is money down the drain. Would anyone have any idea what this could be? Thanks so much for your help. Cheers! Nicole.

sfr table hockey

Most likely the filters in the captops have raised up or swollen up so that the head touches the filter and thus creates a syphon. If you replaced the head it may not be sitting the same as the old one or the captops need to be adjusted. This is a capping adjustment (flushing adjustment) in the service menu to set the heads on the captops. Make sure there is no ink that is left pooling in the captops when you move the heads off to look. If so then the drain line or the clear lines under the captops may be blocked and not draining the captops on cleanings. If left touching the heads it could cause contamination to the other colors or start a syphon again.

Ouch... that is a lot of ink to have run away.

Also make sure the drain lines in the drain bottle are not too much deeper than just past the top of the lid. Never let them touch the waste ink in the bottle, however after the first time I doubt that the drain bottle was still full.

With being converted to solvent, are you now just running lines from the pump to the drain bottle direct and not using the original thin drain lines that come with the water based systems? If you can see the drain lines you could put a small clamp on the drain lines to prevent this over night however if the filters are still touching the heads it could cause one color to then back up into the others and contaminate the line and if bad enough get back into the cart and contaminate the new cart or carts.

Only other things that I notice cause a syphon is some times one almost empty cart beside full ones. I like to use the 220 ml refill carts you can buy on ebay and just pour ink in as you need. They never pressure up like a sealed cart can and this way you can monitor what is happening and only waste small amounts of ink till you find out what is causing it.

zooms

Thanks for your response. i will have to check the capping station and see if it could be that. I am also going to put the waste back into bulk cartridges that I don't use and see if I can test things without wasting new inks. If I can get it to stop draining, then I can flush the lines and install new ink again. Thanks for giving me a few options. Fingers crossed...I am getting close to using it as a boat anchor soon!! Spent $2k in the past week on it and still not running....ggrrr.

zooms

Thanks for your response. i will have to check the capping station and see if it could be that. I am also going to put the waste back into bulk cartridges that I don't use and see if I can test things without wasting new inks. If I can get it to stop draining, then I can flush the lines and install new ink again. Thanks for giving me a few options. Fingers crossed...I am getting close to using it as a boat anchor soon!! Spent $2k in the past week on it and still not running....ggrrr.