• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland GR-640 cutting problems

Mysticalvibes

Hi, we got a new Roland gr640 cutter and the thing is driving us crazy. It would read the first 3 registration marks then refused to read the 4th. Then it just seemed to cut randomly!!! We upgraded the firmware which seems to have fixed the registration fault but when we send a job sometimes it cuts perfect, other times it starts off OK then starts to cut in the wrong place. It was bought brand new and hasn't worked properly since we got it. It also has a habit of cutting the corners off "o" and "r". Help!!!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Gene@mpls

I have a GX500 that I am thinking about upgrading to a GR540 and am very interested in hearing what people have to say as well.

Mysticalvibes

At the moment Gene I'd hold off. From what I can gather this is a problem with the new gr cutters. We've spoken to our supplier in Ireland, and also Roland UK. After giving them a basic test file they all had the same issues. It's even been sent to Roland in Japan. Every time you send a file to cut it destroys it in a different way each time :-( On a brighter note it's a nice looking piece of kit which looks the part in our workshop where customers come in :)

Hey Mysticalvibes,

In your original post, you mentions the the GR-640 "...starts to cut in the wrong place..." and it "...has a habit of cutting the corners off "o" and "r". Based on this description, you're dealing with two (2) unrelated issues.

As for cutting in the incorrect position, it would be helpful for us to start an "official" support ticket by having you complete our form online here: Product Support Form | Roland so we can gather more information from you (such as videos or photos).

As for the corners cutting off, that could be caused by a variety of reasons, such as wrong angle blade for the job, incorrect blade offset, failing cutter pad and blade holder, etc. We can pursue this further in your official support request when you submit it later.

Thanks and we look forward to receiving your request.

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

Mysticalvibes

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. We've been speaking with Kai & Matthew in Roland UK with regards to this. At the moment as a temporary fix we have been advised to use it with USB rather than ethernet. The machine is brand new so blade, cutting strip, etc are perfect. The corners getting cut off are just random. I believe if it was wrong angle of blade it would happen with all letters

jesselopez5000

I hate my GR-540. It hasn't worked since it was delivered back in March 17'. My dealer has been out 4 or 5 times and every technician is lost after "test" they run. Roland finally asked to send it to them to get looked at but they sent it back after a few weeks with no solution. Updates have corrected the crop mark issues, but print / lam / cut does not work properly using Veraworks Dual. There are only three rollers. When cuttng a printed job the cuts start skewing towards the center roller and gets even worse as the sheet feeds further. At this point they are giving me the run around and my cutter is literally just collecting dust. I wouldnt recommended this cutter at all! I have wasted so many man hours and so much material troubleshooting and reprinting jobs that the cutter decided to eat. If you were thinking about the GR...RUN!

Does anyone know if I can legally do anything about this?