• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland LEF-20 UV LED printer ink odor overwhelming making us nauseous light headed

sunshine101

I purchased a new LEF-20 from a company outside of Tampa, FL. last month. Since first using the unit the odor from the ink is overwhelming at times making us lightheaded and sick being in the room for more than 10 minutes. I've messaged and spoke with Roland and my salesman from the beginning thinking something had to be wrong. The machines power was cut off twice when first clearing the lines and charging the ink during install so I hoped that was the reason and it was a simple fix of air in the lines. I called BOFA for help as well. I anticipated some odor but never ever imagined this level of chemicals/odor. I've asked another user who said they've not experienced the issue to this degree. The salesman popped by twice. This week he brought a Roland rep with him to check the machine. Everything I read prior to purchase and speaking with sales staff I was lead to believe the $3,000 BOFA would filter the air. Roland promotional ads even mention "no odor" but that couldn't be more inaccurate. I fear becoming ill from this machine. I'm no baby and not exaggerating the odor... it gets overwhelming at times. I've jumped through hoops to remedy it on my own. I installed a 1800 cfm duct fan to filter air and installed an exhaust vent to send the BOFA exhaust straight outside. It helps but still not enough so that makes me more nervous about harmful chemicals escaping the BOFA. Again I expected some odor but nothing like this. I've twice requested the document listing the chemicals used in the ink. I don't know what else to do so I've contacted a company in Orlando to test the air for chemicals. It's a $1200 test so I'm not to happy at the moment. I guess I have to pay to prove there is an issue despite the Roland rep saying other locations have had greater issues with these units than we are currently experiencing. He and my salesman were familiar with the odor/chemical issue but do not have a solution beyond more ventilation. If the new 1800 cfm duct fan and $3000 BOFA filter isn't doing the trick then it's an issue with the Roland LEF-20 and/or ink. Tbe Roland rep said we have to "live with it" and ventilate even more. My wife was really unhappy with that answer. Our fear is dying from the ink/chemical exhaust. Has anyone else experienced this severe issue with Roland UV LED printers or Roland ink?

player

This is why you can't pay Roland up front. if you have an issue they deny deny deny...

Sorry for your issue.

synergy_jim

That statement about paying is hardly fair. We have had 4 Rolands and when we have had an isolated issue, they have been quick to deal with it. I would find a new dealer. Roland relies on them heavily to do the servicing and warranty work.

My dealer is top notch.

sunshine101

Roland LEF-20 UV LEd printer caustic fumes making us lightheaded

Thank you for the replies. User forums are very important for all of us to communicate and share insight thus helping everyone to obtain their goals. Thank you thank you.... :) My dealer (Florida Graphic Supply) has been great thus far responding to my concerns. My sales rep has stopped by twice. He appears to be a nice and caring guy who truly wants to help. I don't blame him for this issue. Just this week he brought in the Roland rep. to assist. Rolands' advice/solution is to hire an HVAC company to install more ventilation. I will do this but with our current setup the Roland exhaust going directly outside, the BOFA, and a huge 1800 cfm duct fan of course we can blow fumes out all day but it doesn't resolve the issue with my machine pumping out really nauseating fumes. Much more than acceptable. As it is now I cannot hire someone to work with us. I'm concerned about people getting sick/passing out from the fumes. This is a bigger issue. I don't know what else to do?? Roland support staff is aware but unable to do anything more than recommend I pay an HVAC co. to try reducing the fumes. I purchased this machine 1 month ago. It's working great so it sucks to be having this issue with the fumes. The BOFA does absolutely nothing about fumes/odor. I need another machine in the next 3-4 months to be used around the clock so now what? I need but how can I buy another Roland? I think I may be in trouble. Ideas anyone?

player

That statement about paying is hardly fair. We have had 4 Rolands and when we have had an isolated issue, they have been quick to deal with it. I would find a new dealer. Roland relies on them heavily to do the servicing and warranty work.

My dealer is top notch.

Good for you. What is unfair is when you buy a Roland, and it doesn't work, and they don't fix it even when you call Roland head office, and there is documented proof it is defective.

Ragnabrok

The 3 LEF machines i've come across all have bofas, and while that bofa was running at around 30%, i couldn't smell anything when the lef cover was closed. The system is way better on the LEF-20, with the hose that connects the bofa to the bottom of the LEF with what looks like a clothes dryer hose.

All 3 work fanstastically, one is even in a home living room and no complaints of smells anywhere.

Only thing i can think, the system is dependant on the door being closed well on the Bofa, and i'd guess *** long as there isnt stuff piled on top of the filter intake it should be good.

Z SIGNS

Your in the printing business.
Your going to be exposed to some nastiness.
Put the machine in separate vented room.

player

My dealer is top notch.

Plus it's too late once you unknowingly take delivery of a defective printer.

jrsc

We have a direct color systems uv printer. It's somewhat similar and we have not noticed any smell.

toomeycustoms

The ink does have a powerful odor. We haven't had any issues of getting lightheaded though. I can only imagine what running a LEJ-640FT in a confined room would smell like. If we have the BOFA running at around 40%, we don't notice it much until we open up the top lid to put in another piece. I do notice that the smell doesn't go away on the substrate after printing. We just printed 50 foamcore sheets and while trimming, the odor was very powerful.

We do have a separate issue with the machine. It has started to throw an internal error 15 code when we come in the morning or at the end of a job. Tech has been out twice now to "tighten" up belt and lube it, but it still comes back. So now, they are going to replace the mainboard or some other component. Kinda disheartening for a 5 month old machine.

Have you tried replacing the $300 filter and making sure the connection is tight from the bottom of the LEF to the BOFA?

Robert M

ink oder

Has anyone thought about adjusting the cure time on the lamps. Might be the inks are not fully curing and still producing some off gas.

CS-SignSupply

What size is the room? Any other ventilation or air-flow such as A/C vent?

This being the LEF-20, I would suspect either the ductwork between the Bofa and the underside of the printer is not connected properly, or damaged (maybe a hole in the plastic vent tubing)?

Also, make sure you are not blocking the clean air exhaust on the lower rear of the BOFA. If it can not push air out, it can not filter incoming air properly.

All ink has an odor of some kind and I can see where an unvented LEF could get overwhelming... one reason we visit the location prior to accepting a deposit and perform a Site Survey to qualify the location. The units I have installed are running well with minor odor depending on printed surface and coverage while zero complaints to date.

kaders23

Same issue with Direct Color Systems MVP1024

Recently purchased a Direct Color Systems UV MVP printer and I'm having the exact same issue. I just messaged them about it to see what they say but it's awful. I can no longer use the office that it's in because the odor makes me feel sick. We have ours in a small room so I'm sure that doesn't help but I'm not sure what to do about this because it's bad while the printer is not even in use. I haven't used the thing in weeks and it's only circulating the white ink so there is no reason for it to smell this strong. I'm concerned about the chemical levels.

Yasemin

Hi

I'm having the same odor issue. There is a massive odor in the room.

Could you solve the issue? If yes, it would be awesome if you can Tell us how you did it? I think there are many other people, who have the Same issue.

Thank you in advance.

Yasemin

Yasemin

EUV-4 | Even when not using the printer, clothes and hair are smelling of the ink. (Open window + BOFA running)

CS-SignSupply

What size is the room ? It is possible your BOFA Filter is clogged or needs replaced... Sounds like a pure lack of airflow through the printer and local environment.

Yasemin

Thank you for your fast replies. Room size: 355 square feet. If there is a BOFA problem, can the smell/odor be harmful?