• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland or Mimaki?

96XP

Have a question regarding printers and print quality.
Which is a better printer and why?
1)Mimaki CJV30-130 54" or the Roland SC-540?
2)Are Mimakis as easy to service and get parts for?

Robert M

Mimaki

The CJV is a much newer product running a single DX5 print head. The older SC540 has six old style DX 4 print heads. The Mimaki will be faster, have an auto take up, easier to maintain (on board cleaning cartridge) The Roland is going to be much more expensive to repair than a newer Mimaki.

particleman

The CJV is a nice machine if a print/cut all in one is what you are looking for. The inkset, head, and platform are all around very well proven now. Many of the ink system components are shared in the JV33 and JV5 among others. The Mimaki take up system is similar to the JV3 if not the same and just works.

A friend of mine has the small CJV, it is a great machine. The print and cut is not lightning fast, but accuracy is consistently good.

96XP

First off I thank you all for the replies as knowledge is strength.

I have a couple fresh questions to ask however.

1) The printer is 6 color, but it also states with 1 white. I have read in the past somewhere that white was a pain for clogging/cleaning, is this so?
And would I have to/need to have white in it if I were never to use it?

2) I switched to RedGiant inks years ago in my Roland SP, and to this day, it is sharp, crisp, no deflections or clogging. In fact, I have been very satisfied with both performance and pricing as it comes in much less expensive than the Roland OEM. So getting to the question, would the Mimaki accept the RedGiant brand without compromise?

3) I have two printers here, and one is the 6 color SC-540 with OEM inks which I purchased a few months back and haven't been able to get it to print as clearly as my SP.
Banding issues....banding issues..........can't seem to get it cleared up and have had similar in my SP and fixed it easily. It becomes mostly visible going into the blacks.
That said, have been frustrated with the output on the SC, not to mention the continuous whining fan sound beside my head while here at the computer, and not sure if that sound is normal and should be there or not? Are they supposed to be quiet or do they all make that noise?
Since it's (SC) still under warranty and I haven't used it, the dealer has made me an offered to allocate 100% of the money spent on the SC towards an upgrade of my choice.
Think I should?

4) There is a big difference in price between the Roland and Mimaki. How come?

TY, :)