• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland parts vs aftermarket parts (VP540)

No Lemon

Im going to replace Dampers, Outside pinch rollers, flex cables, wipers and cap tops in my VP540 and just wondering if there are any aftermarket parts should stay away from?

Thanks for any advise.

Customprinted

Ive used aftermarket dampers, cap tops, wipers and cables, the only real problem Ive had has been dampers, I suggest get the original dampers, the others you could try out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigblocktrader

Im going to replace Dampers, Outside pinch rollers, flex cables, wipers and cap tops in my VP540 and just wondering if there are any aftermarket parts should stay away from?

Thanks for any advise.

I've had problems with aftermarket cap tops, no more for me!

Stormyj

Just another guy
Ive replaced all of the above and never really had any problems with any of them. Even print heads from amazon and ebay. all worked fine. I may have had good luck.

equippaint

I did all aftermarket with no problems. Ive read a few warnings on captops but heres what i was once told. We also make ac systems for buses and get a few items made in china. When you search it seems as though there are 1000 manufacturers for a particular thing there and therefore hard to sort it out. Reality is this (was told this speaking with a very reliable manufacturer we have there, about ac parts but assume it translates to everything like here) its a small market with very few suppliers. Theres not 100 people making captops, dampers etc aftermarket. Id be surprised if theres more than 1 and would be a little more surprised if it wasnt the same company that produced for the OEM. The benefit/problem (buyer/manufacturer) with chinese manufacturers is that they WILL sell your parts to anyone unless your as big as apple and even then thats no guarantee. The markets so small for large format printer captops that itd be virtually impossible for more than one manufacturer to make them. As cheap as they are its even more implausible for them to use cheaper parts (foam) for one guy than for another. Its a .25 part, they sell them for $5 in china and only US business gets away with selling a $.25 part for $30. Chinese arent dumb, epson wont cancel their contract for selling captops/dampers under the table because its not very easy for them to find another reliable company to make them either. At most they prohibit them from using their trademark and using the same color plastic, and thats only if youre a really big company. I may be dead wrong and if I am say its so. Id bet most issues with "aftermarket" captops are adjustment problems which is why they were changed in the first place and never fixed the issue. Then roland comes out says its crappy captops, changes them and adjusts the height and tells you it was the aftermarket captops without telling the full story. Everyone will protect their markets, just like the cheap dx4 heads so many think are made in china aftermarket. Theres 1 producer of them - epson all made in japan. There are no copies/generics etc, 1 company in the world makes them so pay whatever makes you feel good but know what your problem is before blaming the actual parts.