• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Printing RED never looks good!!!!!

LocalWraps

Ok i got an odd one Is it me or do others have an issue printing a awesome vibrant RED color? I am talking a

C: 0
M:100
Y: 100
K: 0

Or something that resembles a fire engine red or a coke red?

I have tried Profiles
I have tried designing (Photoshop) in RGB, CMYK.
All of our designed are done in Photoshop then saved down in .tif or .jpg for the rip.

I have no idea what the deal is. The color ends up being orangish more than red. I have printed color charts and tried finding a great shade NOPE!

Any help would be appreciated if anyone is seeing something i dont

I am running on a Roland XR640 and versaWorks latest update. Profile used is variances of the Avery 1005 profile

AF

Your generic profiles are just not putting down enough ink for that red to come out right.

Linearize, set highest possible ink limits and make a custom profile. There is no other way around it. Once you have a great profile, you can get away with periodic linearization to keep up with head wear.

blufftonsignguy

That is a major problem I was also having until I spoke with a Roland Rep at a show in Atlanta. My reds were printing pink until I made the changes!

In the Quality tab in Versa Works towards the bottom there is a drop down box for color management. Upload your file several times into versa works, batch them together, then change the color management to different settings and print on a small scale. Then you will be able to tell what color management setting to use for different colors. Also if you have the option, you may want to use the pantone colors and change in the versa works file to convert to spot colors. After trial and error on all of this, my SC-545EX was able to print some very nice reds! I also had problems with grays turning out to be green. This also helped along with converting the pantones to spot colors. Grays are still not 100%, but much better than what I had.

If your using CMYK colors, you may can also change the values of the color to get more red out of it.

Ok i got an odd one Is it me or do others have an issue printing a awesome vibrant RED color? I am talking a

C: 0
M:100
Y: 100
K: 0

Or something that resembles a fire engine red or a coke red?

I have tried Profiles
I have tried designing (Photoshop) in RGB, CMYK.
All of our designed are done in Photoshop then saved down in .tif or .jpg for the rip.

I have no idea what the deal is. The color ends up being orangish more than red. I have printed color charts and tried finding a great shade NOPE!

Any help would be appreciated if anyone is seeing something i dont

I am running on a Roland XR640 and versaWorks latest update. Profile used is variances of the Avery 1005 profile

CanuckSigns

Go to special colours settings
Add a new special colour
Set the input to 0 100 100 0
Set the output to 0 100 100 0
Save

Now when you import a file with a red value of 0 100 100 0 versaworks will replace it with a true red.

Basically the profile you use is limiting the amount of ink it puts down, special colours overrides that on a colour by colour basis.

Roland really should do a web at or after mething on this as it is an incredibly useful function in versaworks, but most people do t k ow about it.

LocalWraps

Where is the Special Color Settings located at in VersaWorks?

Go to special colours settings
Add a new special colour
Set the input to 0 100 100 0
Set the output to 0 100 100 0
Save

Now when you import a file with a red value of 0 100 100 0 versaworks will replace it with a true red.

Basically the profile you use is limiting the amount of ink it puts down, special colours overrides that on a colour by colour basis.

Roland really should do a web at or after mething on this as it is an incredibly useful function in versaworks, but most people do t k ow about it.

LocalWraps

and also how would that effect something that had a gradient in it like a waving american flag?
would it only replace the 0 100 100 0 red and leave all other values untouched translating into a spot of the good red but all other values printing with that wacky orange look?

Where is the Special Color Settings located at in VersaWorks?

CanuckSigns

It's under one of the menus at the top of versaworks, special colour settings

It will only effect the colours you tell it to, and gradients won't work with it, to fix that you need a custom profile made. But the special colours settings work really well for fixing solid colours.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Have you tried the Roland color library? I get some decent colours from it, including reds.

THIS!
Absolute must...print the Roland Color System Library on the material you will be using. Then you will know EXACTLY what color you will get from your specific printer on that specific substrate using that specific color choice.
That's what it's for. They are colors you can't really manually input as there are half percents kinda.

jsalda

I picked up a broker client because their previous shop could never hit reds! As mentioned, use the Roland Color System library (RVW-PR43K is the red your looking for) in Illustrator or Corel. However, at times, when I do design in PhotoShop, when I go to print, I adjust the magenta curve up about 5-8% in the mid-tone area and my reds come out nice. I use PCV2 profile in VW.

Jim Hill

How to change red color in ColorRip software?

I would like to change the red color to a deeper red and was wondering if anyone knew just how to do it.

I am using Oracal 3640-G and while the profile I am using is decent I have the same problem others have with the reds being light colored which I realize means it not putting down enough ink.

I am kind of in the dark ages and still using ColorRip because to be honest with you it has worked very well over the years and I never ran into any problems with it.

Just not sure which setting to change to add the following 0-100-100-0 which I think will give me the red color I am looking for.

Thanks Jim

niksagkram

I believe ColorRip also has a "special color" option in the Color menu where you can set up the input and output values of specific colors. Can't remember exactly how it is used, but Google is your friend. :)

Good luck,

Mark

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Getting accurate colours

The reason you're not getting accurate Reds if you go 0/100/100/0 and receiving something like 0/70/95/0 is because your ICC profile is not allowing it. The way the profile has been rendered thinks your colour gamut from your printer is not capable of producing that specific colour range. Even though if you print with icc profiles off and figure out the colour you're after is actually 0/92/90/0.

The way your RIP is looking at the ink colours, it cannot understand the full potential of the printer.

I had this issue with onyx and my oce arizona. If i tried to print 0/100/100/0 it would start going brown.
No matter what i did with onyx and it's icc profiling system, it would always consistently print inaccurate reds.

When i built a profile though i1Profiler, I got the reds i was after.

My advice is. Either get someone to build your profile for you. or build a profile with another program like i1p which comes with i1pro package.

Correct Color

The reason you're not getting accurate Reds if you go 0/100/100/0 and receiving something like 0/70/95/0 is because your ICC profile is not allowing it. The way the profile has been rendered thinks your colour gamut from your printer is not capable of producing that specific colour range. Even though if you print with icc profiles off and figure out the colour you're after is actually 0/92/90/0.

That's not it, Pauly.

The reason a profile changes CMYK information is because that's what it's supposed to do. When you create a file and specify 0/100/100/0 CMYK, what you're actually specifying is the L*a*b* value of those CMYK values in the color space in which you're presently working.

Most likely that's going to be SWOP, which is a pretty small gamut, usually smaller than even a bad profile on an eco-solvent printer.

So, the L*a*b* value for 0/100/100/0 in SWOP is 52/74/54. Running that through a Roland profile I have on hand, I get 0/92/100/0.

That doesn't mean the profile isn't capable of L*a*b* 52/74/54, or that the profile isn't letting it get there. In both cases, it is. What it does mean is that in that particular profile, that L*a*b* value is produced with the CMYK values 0/92/100/0. Which also means that the printer using that profile has more color gamut than SWOP, so you cannot define its maximum red in SWOP.

I'd also note that yes, in Versaworks there are a number of "color management" settings that are changeable to assume a larger creation-space gamut than the one that was actually used: The disastrous "Max Impact" for instance.

They can be used, and in some instances may even give a sellable result.

But it's important to understand that it isn't an accurate result. Using any input settings other than the ones you used when you created the file guarantees that what you print will never match the actual L*a*b* values of each pixel in the file you sent the printer.

Which may not matter...

Until it does.

CatalinJ

first make sure the colour what you see on your monitor is the colour you output, and use .esp file when you export to rip, beacause .jpeg file is a raster and the colour change, if you use roland library, don't forget to check the box "Coverrt spot color" in "File Format" found in "Job Setting" .

Jim Hill

ColorRip software

I always export files in an .esp to my SP-300

All of the vector images I create use C,Y,M,K, colors only.

Since I am using ColorRip software and not VersaWorks software I always check the Spot Color box.

Does ColorRip software have something similar to VersaWorks color library?

I am also taking a close look at my red and yellow head to see just how much drop out I have wondering if this could be the problem.

The Oracal site no longer list the profiles for an SP-300 so I would like to hear from others who have an SP-300 on what profiles they are using.

Thanks Jim

niksagkram

I always export files in an .esp to my SP-300

All of the vector images I create use C,Y,M,K, colors only.

Since I am using ColorRip software and not VersaWorks software I always check the Spot Color box.

Does ColorRip software have something similar to VersaWorks color library?

I am also taking a close look at my red and yellow head to see just how much drop out I have wondering if this could be the problem.

The Oracal site no longer list the profiles for an SP-300 so I would like to hear from others who have an SP-300 on what profiles they are using.

Thanks Jim

Before Versaworks, I created my own colour swatches with the Macro tool in Corel Draw. Then just print them with profiles/materials of your choice, then just select the colour(s) you like from these. There are several free colour charts on line also.

Mark

Mark

Jim Hill

Mark

Mark when you say there are several free color charts online please point me in the right direction to find them.

Maybe a simple Google search?

Thanks Jim