• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Pro 4 White Ink Not Printing

rydods

Member for quite some time.
I have a Roland Pro 4 XR 640. I don't print white ink as often as I should and now both print heads print all colors fine except for the white ink. I pulled the white to the head with a syringe but I can't get it to print out of the head.

I was told to pull it from under the cap top (which I recently replaced) but I don't know which one of the 2 tubes to pull from.

Does anyone have advise or documentation/video they could point me to to clear this issue up.

Thanks

Joe House

You can pull from either tube, but you have to pinch off the other one with a pair of forceps.
The problem as you probably know is that the pigment settles just about everywhere if it isn't kept suspended some how. The circulation pumps keep the ink in the ink lines suspended, and the daily cleaning should keep the heads and dampers cleared out. So there are two likely problems that you face - the ink in the cartridge has settled out and you're just getting solvent and additives without the pigment up to the head and it's just printing a clear that you can't see, or the damper and/or print head is clogged.
Syringing from below the cap top may or may not help as you're pulling from all channels - you can't just pull white ink that way. But you should be able to see white ink in the cap top after doing this if you've pulled it up to the top of the damper. If you don't see white, then I would start by replacing the damper, then the head if you still get no white through the head. You could try soaking the heads in cleaning fluid and running a couple of strong cleanings as well.
This is assuming that you've already replaced the cap tops - if not, that would be the first thing to do.

If you don't use white much at all, I would recommend that you replace your white ink cartridge with a ESL4 Cleaning Cartridge. If you need to use white, put a fresh white ink cartridge in and perform a couple of powerful cleanings to prime the white lines. Then when you're done, just put the cleaning cartridges back in till the next time. No need to prime the lines as normal cleanings should get the cleaning fluid through long before the white has a chance to cause any problems.

Good luck.

Hey rydods,

We do not have an documentation that illustrates how to syringe the cap top, but based on the description you've provided, we recommend performing 1-2 powerful cleanings. That's usually enough to get ink flowing again. If not, then we recommend that you contact your regional Roland dealer to have the printer inspected and repaired.

If you have additional questions or need extra support directly from Roland corporate support, please submit an "official" support request form online here: Product Support Form | Roland

If you do write us, we look forward to helping you and take care,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Thank you both for the help. I will try your suggestions and report back when I find out what the problem is.