• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland revolutionary new wide-format inkjet printer?

design unfolds

Does anyone know what is that about?

News from printweek.com

"Roland DG has chosen Sign & Digital Ireland as the global launch pad for a revolutionary new wide-format inkjet printer.
The firm is remaining tight-lipped about the precise details of the technology, but claimed it was something that has never been commercially available and had previously been thought impossible.

It added that the new capability would enable users to develop new applications and revenue streams for digital printing, especially for luxury brands.

Sign & Digital Ireland is co-hosted with Print Ireland and will be held at Simmonscourt Dublin from 23-24 September."

FatCat

I did recently hear that the SP-540 would be discontinued and replaced with a new model.
Not sure if this is the same thing though..?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Couldn't say for sure ... just remember about a year ago they were showing a printer that laid down a thick texture on top of and following the image on the print giving it a look of oil paint or thicker.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I hear the next big thing will be latex printers... maybe that's just bull I have no idea so take it for what you will.

cdiesel

Their 30" UV machine currently domes using a clear that it can layer on top of the print. It's pretty sweet, but SUPER, SUPER slow.
HP's latex printer is very nice. It's all about sustainability.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
So should i hold on to the plan of buying a VP-540i?

the SGIA show in New Orleans is just over a month away, Oct 7-9th. I'm waiting until I can see what's at the show. If they announce some major new version the older machines should be available at a pretty decent discount.

Kev41

Well i have been invited by Roland DG to view it ar Sign Ireland so i'll try & let you know when i have seen it

Kev

javila

If it's anything like the revolutionary features of their other printers, then they probably finally developed a "weaving" pattern to reduce banding.

synergy_jim

naw.... I'll bet its way bigger than that.... I am voting a flat bed with LED cure cationic inks that work.... unlike the ion

cdiesel

I just spoke to our dealer, and they called Roland. As far as they know, the only things being announced are the LEC UV machine was made faster by about 3 times, and there were some changes made to the VersaCamm line. Nothing revolutionary, at least not that they're speaking about. :)

There was mention of a 30" UV hybrid. Why anyone would want a 30" flatbed is beyond me.