• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland RF-640 will not print

supu249

Just recently picked up a RF-640 that was repossessed. It has been sitting for a while. Guessing a few months. Installed the ink and tried a test print to check nozzles and nothing at all printed. Performed a powerful clean twice still nothing shows up on test print. I noticed during the powerful cleans that no ink was dropping in the catch bottle. I found a super cleaning function. I performed it on the magenta ink channel and some ink did drop into the bottle. Tried the test print to see if the magenta would show up and still nothing. Are the heads needing replacement? The printer looks brand new. Even the catch bottle looks like it has never even been filled even an eighth of the way. It is very clean. Any help is appreciated. TIA

Billy

ams

Try printing something large, like a 4' X 8' and leave it alone for awhile. I know that when I've run out of ink, it takes several rounds of printing attempts to get it ink back.

Papajo

Hello Billy,

If some ink dropped out in the bottle and you still don't have a single nozzle firing, then you might want to check (or have somebody check) the fuses on the main board. If one of those is blown then you might be in for a head + fuse replacement and/or a main board fix/replacement. Before envisioning such bad perspective, you have to be absolutely positive that the ink delivery and cleaning system are working properly (if the bottle fills up those are good).

First have a look at the ink tubes above the heads, those have to be filled with ink.You can try to pull the ink with a syringe plugged to one end of the cap top (the two transparent tubes that goes to the pump under the control panel, just unplug one from the pump and put the syringe there). The machine has to be powered on in the process. If you can pull without any resistance, then you might just need to have the cap top replaced. If you can't pull anything (don't pull too hard, just apply a bit of suction and wait 10-15 seconds), then the head might be plugged. If you can pull some ink, then the cleaning system is OK. Just plug back the tube, do a normal cleaning and nozzle check. If nothing shows up, we're back to checking the main board.

It might be possible that the previous owner has tried to replace the head by himself and has spilled ink on the head or damaged the flat cables connected to the head thus blowing the fuse on the main board. If you send us detailed pictures of the inside of the head carriage, we should be able to tell. In that case we have to look for human error rather than common machine failure (which are pretty different mindsets).

supu249

Hello Billy,

If some ink dropped out in the bottle and you still don't have a single nozzle firing, then you might want to check (or have somebody check) the fuses on the main board. If one of those is blown then you might be in for a head + fuse replacement and/or a main board fix/replacement. Before envisioning such bad perspective, you have to be absolutely positive that the ink delivery and cleaning system are working properly (if the bottle fills up those are good).

First have a look at the ink tubes above the heads, those have to be filled with ink.You can try to pull the ink with a syringe plugged to one end of the cap top (the two transparent tubes that goes to the pump under the control panel, just unplug one from the pump and put the syringe there). The machine has to be powered on in the process. If you can pull without any resistance, then you might just need to have the cap top replaced. If you can't pull anything (don't pull too hard, just apply a bit of suction and wait 10-15 seconds), then the head might be plugged. If you can pull some ink, then the cleaning system is OK. Just plug back the tube, do a normal cleaning and nozzle check. If nothing shows up, we're back to checking the main board.

It might be possible that the previous owner has tried to replace the head by himself and has spilled ink on the head or damaged the flat cables connected to the head thus blowing the fuse on the main board. If you send us detailed pictures of the inside of the head carriage, we should be able to tell. In that case we have to look for human error rather than common machine failure (which are pretty different mindsets).
Thanks for the replies. After numerous powerful cleanings I started to get most of the test print to show. This is my most recent and best yet.
b2bfcfdc9b6ab72850f28149ed30b1eb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ams

Getting there, the heads appear to be new or excellent condition. You might have air in your lines.