• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland RF640 And GR640

Cole

Hi
We run a small sign factory producing all types of general signage and graphics we outsource a lot of print and as the company grows we would like to start printing in house.
What are everyones thoughts on this printer and cutter setup as seems to be a good deal at the moment. Is it outdated technology?
Or is it better to go the Truevis route - although we can only find mixed reviews on the truevis.
Are there better alternatives than Roland what are your thoughts please guys as we are very undecided

CL Visual

We bought an RF-640 when we started our business and it was the best investment. I absolutely love it. It's not super fast and you are a little limited by the CMYK configuration. The great part is double CMYK so you will never run out of ink. We do a lot of overnight printing and I've never had to come in the morning and see a print stopped. If you do a lot of longer runs like vehicle wraps, this is a great feature. I highly recommend this printer.

If you don't laminate any prints before cutting, then truevis is worth looking into. I feel the printer cutter combo reduces workflow too much since we laminate everything.

I had a GX 640 so can't comment on that cutter.

The down part is that Versaworks sucks for bigger files. I upgraded to Onyx and it has saved me hundreds of hours of ripping and waiting time.

Cole

We bought an RF-640 when we started our business and it was the best investment. I absolutely love it. It's not super fast and you are a little limited by the CMYK configuration. The great part is double CMYK so you will never run out of ink. We do a lot of overnight printing and I've never had to come in the morning and see a print stopped. If you do a lot of longer runs like vehicle wraps, this is a great feature. I highly recommend this printer.

If you don't laminate any prints before cutting, then truevis is worth looking into. I feel the printer cutter combo reduces workflow too much since we laminate everything.

I had a GX 640 so can't comment on that cutter.

The down part is that Versaworks sucks for bigger files. I upgraded to Onyx and it has saved me hundreds of hours of ripping and waiting time.
Thanks for taking the time to assist I guess the double cmyk restricts gradients etc - what size of file do you class as bigger files ? Think I'm edging towards this printer many thanks again

chapmachau

We have run a RF640 for the last 3 years without any problems. We mainly do safety decals so the gradients are not a problem for us.
Just upgraded from a GX640 to the GR640, new one is a lot more accurate. We laminate everything so once its printed and off the printer, it can be printing the next job. So workflow for us is a lot quicker. Would definitely recommend both.

Gene@mpls

X2 on the RF640- great printer. Good to hear a good report on the GX, they had early problems- which is common.

altereddezignz

Do you have any issue with black coverage looking spotty or like there is not enough being laid down?
On a 720x720 8 pass its this way but a 720x1440 12 pass its way to much ink.
Material is ora 3651

Ridgeracer24

Hi
We run a small sign factory producing all types of general signage and graphics we outsource a lot of print and as the company grows we would like to start printing in house.
What are everyones thoughts on this printer and cutter setup as seems to be a good deal at the moment. Is it outdated technology?
Or is it better to go the Truevis route - although we can only find mixed reviews on the truevis.
Are there better alternatives than Roland what are your thoughts please guys as we are very undecided
I bought the gr640 rf640 combo about a month ago and the GR640 cutter has been a pain to perf cut decals on and haven't completed the first perf cut job I received since I've owned it. I had to spend $1200 on a linear rail and linear blocks to fix the 13 yr old SP300V that broke down just so I can complete perf cut jobs because my "new and improved" cutter can't. I've had 2 glitches that haven't been fixed when I pause and it will cut a line right through the center of the media ruining about 10-12 stickers everytime. Or change blade offset and it will lose position and start cutting in random places ruining more stickers and entire sheet is junk.
The perf cut feature is so hit or miss on finding a working consistent pressure. My SP300V completed that perf job first try and didn't waste not even 1 sticker. the GR640 for me has Been eating more material than it's sold. I've got no issues with the RF-640 other than most profiles seem heavy on the black I've found one that works and use that for everything, Takeup works great haven't had any issues with the RF yet other than the company that sold it to me when they delivered it they broke and bent one of the wheel casters getting it stuck in the trailer ramp on the way down which still hasn't been fixed yet either but printers been solid.
So far ive been talking with tech support for about 2-3 weeks and haven't had any luck resolving the issue. My sales company's tech has been down to look at it but he didn't even know where to start with the glitches so I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a solution. I'd stay away from the GR640 if I had a second chance to do it again. Steve