• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SC545ex Will Not Power Up

THOMAS CURRAN

HI Guys
I am new to this forum so i would like to start by say hello but as im sure you are all used to i am in need of help.
i have a Roland SC545ex that was working fine one day and then i came in the next and the only thing going was the small fan on the back of the printer. i have taken the cover of the back and there are no lights lighting on any of the boards or on the network card.im not sure if the power supply has gone is there a way to check. seems strange that the fan is the only thing working.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in Advance

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Power supplies rarely fail and it's usually the main board that causes issues like these. I don't have a lot of experience on that model when it comes to power failures but when it happens on Mimaki and Mutoh printers, it's usually the main board is fried. Do you know how to test a power supply? It's fairly easy if you have a voltmeter.

THOMAS CURRAN

Hi Guys
thanks for the replies but yes i have tested the power supply and it is outputting power but i dont know how many volts it should be putting out. also i have checked the fuses and they are fine.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Unfortunately there is only a couple ways to figure this out and that is to have someone try to diagnose the boards or replace them to see which one fixes the issue. It's most likely the main board because it's the board that distributes the power to the other components.

Patrick.L

Thomas, did you find out the issue cause mine just did the same thing with only the fan by the power supply board working?

jriley

Power supplies rarely fail and it's usually the main board that causes issues like these. I don't have a lot of experience on that model when it comes to power failures but when it happens on Mimaki and Mutoh printers, it's usually the main board is fried. Do you know how to test a power supply? It's fairly easy if you have a voltmeter.

I've encountered a VJ-1604 that wouldn't power on. I didn't test anything, I just swapped out the power board assy. (under the platen), and it fired right up.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I've encountered a VJ-1604 that wouldn't power on. I didn't test anything, I just swapped out the power board assy. (under the platen), and it fired right up.

I'm not saying it's impossible. It's just much more likely that the main board causes machines not to power on. I would say that 9/10 it's the main board. The power supplies just have more robust components on them.

Patrick.L

Ladies/Gents, has anyone ran across the Roland SC-545EX not powering up but the fan directly behind the power supply board is the only thing running n if so what was the fix?

Last edited:

THOMAS CURRAN

Hi Guys bought a power supply from America and it's doing the same thing so maybe gonna try a new main board dunno if it's worth it though?