• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SG-300 vs VSi-300?

bayviewsignworks

Looking at purchasing a printer mainly to do labels and our smaller sized stuff. We already have a Roland large format printer and large laminator. We still have our 30" laminator.

Apparently the SG model uses the 500ml bags which you save about 20% vs buying 2x220ml cartridges for the VSi.

Price is more for the VSi and has CMYK+ white, etc.

The SG is CMYK only and is faster.

Thoughts?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I would recommend the VSI series for the simple fact that it is using technology that Roland is used to and is proven already. The SG series is their, as far as I know, first printer using Richo heads. There is no problem with Richo heads and the Mimaki JFX flat bed uses them with great results but I generally stay away from machines that are using a new head configuration for the first time. When the next generation comes out and people have had time to find it's pros and cons, then I would consider it.

LFC911

SG300 is $3k less MSRP than the VS300i, if you need metallic and white that eliminates the SG from the equation.
SG300 cutter has 500g of down force the VS only has 300g
500mL SG/VG inks are more economical and have more volume than 440 mL VS
SG uses Versaworks Dual (improved gradients/drop shadows) whereas the VS uses regular Versaworks
New head and old head technologies are very reliable
4-color (dual CMYK) VS300i prints up to 106 sq/ft hr 540x720, SG300 prints up to 81 sq/ft hr
When you start looking at the VS300i w/7 colors or 8 colors (white/metallic) speeds are significantly lower than 4-color (dual CMYK) print modes

bayviewsignworks

Went with the SG mainly for price. Not so concerned with the new technology as our first SP we bought "new" and have had good results with Roland stuff.