• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SG-300 waste

bayviewsignworks

Really? 2 1/2" more waste on this new machine compared to the SP (see pics).

Can I drill out another hole for the sensor? What a waste!

Attachments

• IMG_4369.jpg
    IMG_4369.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_4370.jpg
    IMG_4370.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 259

ProPDF

Call your dealer....it maybe a setting inside the rip where it chooses a gap between jobs or start of job. We had the same problem we thought with the soljets spacing out too much but it was because of a heater setting enabled.

bayviewsignworks

You can see the front sensor, it's quite a bit further away from the cut strip. As much as we're saving on ink we're loosing on media.

oksigns

Change your Page Space under Printer Controls in VW.

Horizontal margins are determined by pinch roller position. You can find the absolute edge with a little experimentation before you get a detection error to get the most out of your outside margins.

bayviewsignworks

Right but I want it as a default setting on the printer so I don't need to set this every time I print something.

There is now 5" on the front end and it will probably be at least that on the back end. Who thought up that brilliant idea?

tim99

back up the material and set a base point? a bit repetitive of a task but works well for me. i usually lineup the material with the edge of the vacuum strip.

oksigns

the SG-300 is very similar to my XR-640. If you start a new project aligning the leading edge to the edge of the vaccum/platen on the printer, your leading page space should be in the order of 40/50mm

It has become 2nd nature to start a new project on that vaccum/platen edge and to either manually edge cut where I want or set a page space of about 80mm on large multiple sheet runs. Too little page space on the back end of cut jobs can cause end of sheet/roller errors that can cancel a job.

bayviewsignworks

So after I have loaded it, lowered the lever and let it see the electric eye, you back it up to the vacuum strip and tell it to start there? Is this a problem when you put it back through to contour cut?

bayviewsignworks

When I lower the lever the machine runs the media out to the eye sensor which is about 5". It starts there. My SP-300 is about half that.

tim99

yes lower the lever, let it do its thing, then backup to the edge of the vacuum strip and set base point. if doing a print cut with reg marks this wont affect it any as long as you repeat the same possess when putting the material back in for cutting say after laminating.

bayviewsignworks

Ok, I'll give that a try.

Any thoughts on why it's cutting the back end too short? Someone above suggested to change the "Page Spce" in Printer Controls. I've done that but my other SP-540 machine has the right length as a default - in the printer, not VM.

tim99

not a clue on that one, i did ask the tech about that the day he installed my printer and it seems just to be a Roland thing, he told me there way no way to adjust that. i have to feed out a little before sheet cutting if im using reg marks. if anyone did find a way to adjust it i would very much like to know as well.

bayviewsignworks

In VM you can double click on the folder icon (to the left of the little screen icon) and in Printer setting you can override the "Page Space" setting and make it whatever works best. I haven't experimented with that yet. I just want to make this setting on the machine as a default. I think it's a bug in the firmware - which hopefully they fix.

oksigns

In VM you can double click on the folder icon (to the left of the little screen icon) and in Printer setting you can override the "Page Space" setting and make it whatever works best. I haven't experimented with that yet. I just want to make this setting on the machine as a default. I think it's a bug in the firmware - which hopefully they fix.

it's no bug. there is no way to set a "page space" default on the printer and why there is no "standard" printer configuration to be applied on any new project within VW is beyond me. I know that platen/vaccum edge is my best friend.