• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland SG-540 cutlength

2ny

Hi.
We have issues with the cutlength on our Roland SG-540. We print mirrored on clear vinyl, and laminate with etched vinyl before we cut out decals 1500x150mm. Then we apply them wet to acrylic signs where they fit edge-to-edge. This works like a charm on prints done on our Roland SP-300, but on the SG-540 the decals are a little short. They are ok on the height of 150mm, but the length is about 3mm short. I have searched the manual for any clue on how to calibrate the cutlength of the machine, but can not find anything.
Anyone had this issue and got it fixed?
I have done the other print-cut adjustements etc. on the machine.

Best regards
Tony

woolly

this could be that the printed length is incorrect (feed print calibration) and the cut length is being adjusted by the machine to match the print length as it should be after its read the marks.

2ny

this could be that the printed length is incorrect (feed print calibration) and the cut length is being adjusted by the machine to match the print length as it should be after its read the marks.

Ok. But that would mean that the length error is established when we print. How can this be adjusted then?
It will not do any good to adjust print/cut for this I believe.

Tony

woolly

Ok. But that would mean that the length error is established when we print. How can this be adjusted then?
It will not do any good to adjust print/cut for this I believe.

Tony

as Joe said
first you have to establish if that is really the cause measure between the ticks of the marks and take away any eps pdf boarders inc in the file or rip to give the printed length. presuming by your description it does not have a printed boarder.
there are instructions in the manual using a test print
for more accurate long distance print a hairline outline (to save ink) oblong i do 1000mm measure that must be the material you are working with. then use the formula
told to print length minus the actual print length divided by the actual length times 100

in your case 1500 - 1497 = 3 / 1497 *100 = +0.2%
also the profile you are using may have a feed calibration built in or the machine has been set to it.. in the rip is a use machine setting which has to be taken in to account.
altering the print cut will have no effect on this just set that as it shold be.

other considerations can be lamination to tight , slippage of media pulling off roll . humidity and probably 10 others.
as a by the way the scan direction will always be correct in distance because there should be no media movement in that direction

2ny

Hi.
I got a message from our supplier on the issue.
I had to enter service mode, and open Menu->servicemenu->printmenu->calib.default. Here you can choose to print a test, wich then prints 2 lines. One in scan direction that measures 500mm and one in feed direction that measures 400mm. Then you measure the one in feed direction to control the setting. The value/length in the scan direction is static 500mm, and the length in feed direction is adjusted by the percentage setting in the menu. I have adjusted the setting and done some testing, and I think it is ok now. Will see next time I print something that is more size crucial. Thank you for your replys.

Best regards
Tony