• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SJ745EX ProII Platen temperature/heater will not throttle

AmazingDigital

I have a 2005 SJ745EX ProII and the platen temperature will not hold at the desired setting. It always goes to the maximum. I have the service notes manual 5th edition dated Jan 06. It does not describe any troubleshooting methods for this issue. It does show the various components and they are:

Temperature controller (human interface) possible part numbers: PXR4NAY1-0Y
S1A, MFD 2005-04, 5424699T or 23115108

Heater board HU: W880101420
Heater board AC: W880101410
Servo board: unknown part number
Thermostat Bed: 22805512
Thermostat Platen: 22805513
Thermistor heater: 25425104

Several of these parts are inexpensive and a couple are rather costly. I am hoping someone can guide me on how to test each of these components to verify their functionality.

woolly

Coincidence my pro2 just had a heater failure
my fault was the controller not turning the heaters on if your pv is going a lot higher than the sv I would suspect the controller.
The controller is a standard electronic pid controller but are available from very cheap to top dollar
and are quite complicated also need programming.
I took a chance with a cheap one from eBay and took 2 long evenings to get it working correctly.
Roland UK did not come up with any help as too old ???

I did find the original fitting notes for the heater kit for a bit more understanding also YouTube for controller adjustments.

InkjetAuction

Controller failure...

I haven't seen this in the field about two years myself, but it is a most likely a failure of the controller (below)... stuck solenoid. I replaced several of these over the years...

Item Number
Item Description List Price Qty on Hand
REGULATOR,PXR4NAY1-0YS1A FUJITSU
$371.85 0

Unfortunately this machine is past end-of life... and the part is out-of-stock at Roland and no longer being sourced. (see above)

The SJ-545EX/645EX/745EX was officially discontinued January 2008, and the end-of-support date was seven years later in January 2014.

A quick google search found them at DigiPrint Supplies for $465.75 (a few $$ more than what Roland was selling them for)
http://www.digiprint-supplies.com/regulator-pxr4nay1-0ys1a-fujitsu-22745102.html

You also might be able to harvest one from a salvaged printer being sold for parts. Do a little digging.

~E

Jack Knight1979

This has happened to both my Pro II's.

The mechanical relay in the assembly is stuck. A new relay is 12.00 and six solder points. I have new spare on hand from Fuji for my printers, and I have rebuilt both of my controllers for next to nothing. They work perfect again.

InkjetAuction

Perfect!

Love to hear fixes like that. Rock on!

The mechanical relay in the assembly is stuck. A new relay is 12.00 and six solder points. I have new spare on hand from Fuji for my printers, and I have rebuilt both of my controllers for next to nothing. They work perfect again.

El Barto

Wow. Care to offer up some insight into how that works?

Mine's been cooking material for a year or two now. I use heavy banner material so it's not a problem, but that platen can burn your hand a bit. If I can fix the thing with some soldering I'd be all over it. My dealer told me some exorbitant price, and as Woolly pointed out those things are ridiculously complicated to program from scratch if you just buy one off eBay. Far more controller than necessary for this application, honestly.

Jack Knight1979

I ordered my controller from http://www.instrumart.com/

They can help you get the exact controller. Then take your old controller apart and get the relay out of it. Order a replacement component and put it in. I can of course offer more information when needed. Just Pm me. I'm slammed at the moment and don't have time to write out and photograph a tutorial that only a few people around the world would benefit from.

I'm happy to help if you need more info. Start with instrumart. They're great and will take care of you.