• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SolJet SC-500 any good?

daenterpri

Hello! Are the original Roland Soljet SC-500 Printer/Cutters any good? Will they take the Eco-Sol without major modification?

Thanks!

Andy

Robert M

Sc-500

Unless it has been out of use for the last 5 or so years it would have been converted to use the Eco Sol Max inks as the original SC-500 inks went away a long tome ago.
If it has to be converted you may have issues getting a current copy of Color Rip that will allow you to change ink sets and provide you with the needed Eco sol max profiles. The pumps in those old printers were also a problem, that would have to be replaced.
Search the site, there are companies that will do the conversion for you.
The good news is that the print heads (2) are only 225.00 and easy to install

CS-SignSupply-TT

daenterpri, rather than messing with 5+ year old solvent printing technology, shop for a used Mimaki JV3 or JV33 or a Roland XC540. You will be so much happier

daenterpri

daenterpri, rather than messing with 5+ year old solvent printing technology, shop for a used Mimaki JV3 or JV33 or a Roland XC540. You will be so much happier

Thanks for the advice. Isn't the JV3 a 5+ year old machine? And if it can accept ecosol, does it matter?

Thanks for the help!

CS-SignSupply-TT

Fortunately for Mimaki, they rolled out the JV3 with their SS2 inks from the beginning. On the other hand, Roland rolled out the SC500 with one set of "solvent" inks that required coated media. Then, they converted the SC500 to Eco-Sol Max inks. You will find your best VALUE in the Mimaki JV3. Please understand, when entering the solvent printer arena, you must be prepared and willing to get your hands dirty.

daenterpri

I see. So as far as reliability, and print quality you would say that the JV3 is better also? I do have a lead on a 6 year old JV3 160SP for $4000. But the 10 years old Roland print/cut for $3k sounded nice also. Isn't the JV3 a pretty high maintenance machine?

daenterpri

Fortunately for Mimaki, they rolled out the JV3 with their SS2 inks from the beginning. On the other hand, Roland rolled out the SC500 with one set of "solvent" inks that required coated media. Then, they converted the SC500 to Eco-Sol Max inks. You will find your best VALUE in the Mimaki JV3. Please understand, when entering the solvent printer arena, you must be prepared and willing to get your hands dirty.

What do you think a used JV3-160SP is worth? It has the exhaust kit. Also, will it take Eco-Solvent ink?

CS-SignSupply-TT

daenterpri, I think the $4000 price is fair. artbot has commented recently that the JV3 does require maintenance. However, if you are hesitant to get your hands dirty, then I would not recommend a solvent printer. Since you are familiar with the EDGE, Summa, and Copam, basic maintnenance should not be a bother for you.

Robert M

Sc 500

That old Roland is using the older DX 2 technology that was not originally designed for Eco solvent inks, it is the same ink delivery system as the Mutoh Falcon, do a search and see waht people have to say about it. They are slow and my sources say the parts may not be available much longer, get the JV3

daenterpri

That old Roland is using the older DX 2 technology that was not originally designed for Eco solvent inks, it is the same ink delivery system as the Mutoh Falcon, do a search and see waht people have to say about it. They are slow and my sources say the parts may not be available much longer, get the JV3

If I could get a 46" Mutoh Falcon for $1000, completely gone through and refurbished, is that a good way for me to start out? Or, would it be better to buy the $3800 JV3 that may need some work in the near future?