• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SP-540 Getting Brown instead of Red

ismoreno

Hey guys i hope someone can help, Im pretty savvy with this printer but just can't seem to figure out how to solve this problem.

Issue: If been dealing with this for about 3 weeks now and cant figure it out. I was using some alternative eco solvent ink, Instead of printing red Im printing orange or if its burgundy it looks brown.

What Ive done so far: Ive cleaned it and all the colors are solid and look good on the test prints. I even made CMYK squares in illustrator and exported them EPS and printed in Density control and the colors looked perfect.

I changed the cap top for the yellow and magenta, but am still having the problem. I also changed back to Roland ink and that didn't help.

Anyone got an idea of what it could be?

ismoreno

@ Prowraps

Ya I can see how there can be a color shift when like blue to purple but this is reds to orange darker the darker the read the more brown.I really get no red, however, when i test print its all perfect.

tciou

If by printing in Density control the colors look perfect then there is a big chance that your profile is the cause. Do you use custom profiles ?

ismoreno

I use default RGB on Illustrator and recently imported the Versaworks Swatch Library into illustrator. I did a print of "RUBY" and it helped alot but still get more of a brown than the actual color.

@ Custom Grfx This is a recent problem dealing with it close to a month now.

Should I print with Density Control all the time?

Any other Ideas

Using the Density Control Only setting effectively turns off all ICC profiles and rendering intents for that job. This setting should be used while creating a new media/ profiling.

Doing this for production jobs is probably a mixed bag: It can produce more vibrant solid colors (as you are seeing in this case), but it probably will cause raster images (photos) to print unpredictably and generally poorly.

A better option available in Versaworks might be to use the Roland Color System when you want to reproduce reference spot/ solid colors. Doing this causes the RIP to use a direct color conversion for those colors only, leaving the rest of the files, including raster elements, to print using an ICC-based workflow.