• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland SP-540i - Doesn't want to Contour Cut correctly.....

James Anderson

Hi everyone...

This is a strange one...

My contour cut was working fine until i reset my printer..

Now what it does is: when you send to print it makes the motion of contour cut but doesn't cut anything, actually looking closer it doesn't actually bring the knife down to make the cut instead hovers above the paper and makes the motion, so basically making a motion of the cut without bringing the knife down to engage with paper.....This is the first I have heard of this problem....

So any help would be highly Thanked....

I'm Lost!!!!!

Cheers

E Coloney

Sounds like an electrical problem in the circuitry that lowers the blade. As it has a variable force, it would be reasonable to assume it's an electromagnetic apparatus that gets a varying voltage. My XC-540 has a print-then-cut (later) malfunction where the cut contour is displaced a few mm (print-and-cut is OK, go figure) and this is precisely why I haven't attempted to repair it. I can live with the offset cut contour and can compensate for it in my drawings by moving the cut contour but I can't correct a problem such as yours. In my case, I'll live with it. Sounds like you'll need to call a technician. Please post here how you overcame the problem.

James Anderson

Thanks for the advice......

Yes that most probably is true... Something to do with the circuit board maybe...

Well let me add some additional Information which I didn't, a few months back I was revamping the premises and moved many things around.. at this time the printer stopped working as the ethernet cable had ripped out from the rj45 socket at the bacm... Total nightmare....

My friends who's a circuit board technician managed to de-soldier and solder a new rj45 connect and since then I have had the problem... Then I reset the machine...(same result)

So now doesnt contour cut...

I'm thinking one of the cables is out on the circuit board maybe...

I will have to check this out as there's a lot of cables at the back....

Keep you posted...

Kind regards

James Anderson

Any ideas guys, reset roland verserworks, still contour cutting with blade touching surface.....

I can't no stickers unless this the working..so a big problem still

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks

woolly

because you have reset the printer have a look a the blade pressure setting in the cutting menu
other normal reason for that fault would probably be the main ribbon cable running across the top of the machine.or dirt in the magnetic actuator.

E Coloney read the manual there are two separate cutting offset menus one just print and cut other is cut to crop marks that's probably why one accurate one not.
you should do a environment check if it has one before any alterations for best results

Last edited:

Scott at Roland

Any ideas guys, reset roland verserworks, still contour cutting with blade touching surface.....

I can't no stickers unless this the working..so a big problem still

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks
Hi James - Most of the information provided you is pretty good. Couple things - first, manually move the solenoid (cut blade) down and up. It should move pretty easily with little resistance. If it is stuck or really tight, you may need a new solenoid. If it moves freely, my guess is that it is the ribbon cable that runs along the printer from the Servo Board to the Tool Carriage. The solenoid basically receives either an on (down) or off (up) signal and if part of that cable is damaged - even just one line - it can cause this kind of issue. Keep in mind that this ribbon cable moves quite a bit with the carriage movement and is more likely to wear out or experience some sort of damage than most other cables on the printer. Also, I would recommend having a tech replace it. The cable has a couple mylar guides to keep it in place during printing and cutting. If the guides and the cable are positioned incorrectly, there is a greater chance of the cable popping out of its track or becoming damaged during operation. Hope this helps.

Scott at Roland

because you have reset the printer have a look a the blade pressure setting in the cutting menu
other normal reason for that fault would probably be the main ribbon cable running across the top of the machine.or dirt in the magnetic actuator.

E Coloney read the manual there are two separate cutting offset menus one just print and cut other is cut to crop marks that's probably why one accurate one not.
you should do a environment check if it has one before any alterations for best results

This is all correct - the two calibrations are "Print/Cut Adjust" which calibrates the simple print cut - and "Crop/Cut Adjust" which is for calibrating the "cut later" function. If the Crop/Cut is off, you should see an offset in your cut that is consistent. Performing this calibration should resolve that. Also, I am pretty sure that the XC-540 performs an Environment Match every time media is loaded into the printer, so while it wouldn't hurt to manually run one, it's probably not necessary.

James Anderson

Hi Guys, Wolly & Scott

Appreciate your help...

I am looking into your suggestiosn right now as I need to cut a job, so here goes...

I will let you know how this works....

James Anderson

I have just looked:

Function - Cut config - Force - 100gf 100gf

and

Menu - Cutting Menu - Print cut adjust - Setting - F: 0.00 0.00mm / S: 0.00 0.00mm

Crop Cut Setting is the same: F: 0.00 0.00mm / S: 0.00 0.00mm

Is this ok?

Scott at Roland

I have just looked:

Function - Cut config - Force - 100gf 100gf

and

Menu - Cutting Menu - Print cut adjust - Setting - F: 0.00 0.00mm / S: 0.00 0.00mm

Crop Cut Setting is the same: F: 0.00 0.00mm / S: 0.00 0.00mm

Is this ok?
Hi John - These are the correct places to look, however it looks like they have never been changed. The default is 0's across the board. Here is a link to the owners manual for this model. There are sections on how to perform the calibrations for your printer. http://support.rolanddga.com/Docs/D...Manuals and Guides/SP-540i_300i_USE_EN_R1.pdf

James Anderson

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
James,
The first thing I see is your cutting blade is sticking out of the blade holder way too much. It should only stick down the thickness of the vinyl and 1/2 the backing. As that can be difficult to judge, have the blade stick out maybe 1/4 to 1/2 of the angle side of the blade. Does the blade rotate freely in the holder, both out of the tool holder and when installed? This doesn't necessarily address your problem, but should be adjusted. I agree with Scott from Roland on the ribbon cable, as a potential cause. Also, as he asked, does the tool holder move up and down freely?

James Anderson

Hi Jim

Thanks for the info...

Thats a good point and yes this was on my mind,Thanks for spotting ( you have a good eye ), but i have never needed to adjust it since I bought the printer, however it looks like i can't adjust it at all as when i replace the blade it just slots into the slot and is held by a magnet, on the other end is a metal bar which slots in, is this ok, i have tried to push the the blade in but wont budge...

Does the blade rotate freely in the holder, both out of the tool holder and when installed? Yes

does the tool holder move up and down freely? Yes, when this blader is placed on the printer slot it goes up and down no problem..

I will upload a video and pics on this...

James Anderson

Pics etc....

1_IMG_20200304_183539.jpg
IMG_20200304_184248.jpg
IMG_20200304_183554.jpg
IMG_20200304_183539.jpg
5_IMG_20200304_183554.jpg
4_IMG_20200304_185105.jpg
0_IMG_20200304_185116.jpg
IMG_20200304_185105.jpg
IMG_20200304_183601.jpg
2_IMG_20200304_183601.jpg
1_IMG_20200304_183539.jpg

Joe House

The tip of your blade is broken off. Also, there should be a cap on the cutting end of the blade holder with a hole in to limit the amount of blade exposed. That's missing. Again, not really the main problem here, but definitely a problem. Get a new blade and blade holder.

James Anderson

Wow

Thanks Joe... I didnt know that at all..

This forum is excellent must add....

The wierd this is ive been using it like this for ages....

Let me order this.....

Cheers....

James Anderson

Done some research...

That part is called 'blade holding securing nut' - so will order... I have spare new blades so will use them...

Also when have time will try calibration....

Thanks again!!!

I think we are getting closer to the problem at hand....

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
You are missing the adjustment part of the blade holder. The blade holder costs $50-55 depending upon the supplier. This will not fix your issue, but should be replaced so you can adjust the blade depth correctly. As Scott said, it is most likely the ribbon cable which goes from the main board to the circuit board on top of the tool carriage. This should be replaced by a technician, as there are several adjustments that should be done after replacement. In re-reading your Nov 1 post, I see the network cable connector was damaged. Was the printer on when this happened? If so, it is possible the circuitry on either the main board or servo board is damaged. This can be confirmed by a tech measuring the voltage at the connection on the solenoid. This can only be done when in the tool pressure adjustment menu. If there is voltage present when performing this adjustment, then it is likely the tool carriage solenoid. This voltage will vary based on the force setting. If there is no voltage, then it will be the ribbon cable, the servo board or the main board. BUT, I emphasis you should have a qualified technician make this voltage check.

Attachments

• Roland XD-CH3.jpg
    Roland XD-CH3.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 137

James Anderson

Thank you Jim...

The Printer was off at the Time... I was moving it slightly and cable snapped out..

Yes i might have to call a technician but would like to go through all the symptoms see if theres anything i may able to do my end...

...... The story continues.....

Thanks for the help.... I would be completely lost belive me......