• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SP-540v - Blue drips

VinylLab

Hey Everyone,

My Roland keeps dripping small blue ink drops on my prints, even when I've just cleaned it the day before. I can't see any lint on the heads. Any ideas on what it can be? My wipers look like they're in good condition since I'm very serious about cleaning at least once a week.

I've never cleaned the bottom of the jets since I don't know how to without ruining them.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You probably have a failing damper. If the damper lets air into the system, most of the time you get color drop out but it can also cause ink to fall out of the head unexpectedly. I have seen a bad head cause this but it is very rare. If the damper is completely full and not about half full like it should, I would make sure you cap top and pump are pulling ink through properly. If the damper gets too full it can cause this issue as well. Full dampers are a good sign that the dampers are either old and/or the maintenance station is not pulling ink through properly.

VinylLab

Thanks

The blue ink drops will be in similar spots going all the way down the media, if that makes a difference. How can I check if the damper is full? I don't know where it's located.

player

The blue ink drops will be in similar spots going all the way down the media, if that makes a difference. How can I check if the damper is full? I don't know where it's located.

You remove the main cover over the control panel, then remove the cover over the print heads. There are black plastic rivets that you will remove by pulling the center pin up and this will allow the plug or whole rivet to be removed.

You have to be very very careful here... If you are not sure, you may want to get a tech in. Changing the dampers is costly if done improperly.

You are sure there is nothing stuck to the bottom of the head?

You know how to properly manually clean the heads by wiping around the sides?

VinylLab

dampers

Yes, I've checked with a flashlight in cleaning mode and there is nothing on the bottom of the heads. I clean all the way around the two with Roland's cleaning solution and a lint-free swap, as well as the wipers, etc. I'll open the cover like you've suggested and check the dampers.

player

Yes, I've checked with a flashlight in cleaning mode and there is nothing on the bottom of the heads. I clean all the way around the two with Roland's cleaning solution and a lint-free swap, as well as the wipers, etc. I'll open the cover like you've suggested and check the dampers.

The dampers sit on top of the heads, 2 dampers per head. They fit over a plastic tube (carburetor). This tube is easily cracked or broken, so be careful.

Check for ink around the damper, as there is an o-ring seal that can leak.

Turn both powers off!