• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SP-540V "not connecting" to Versaworks

bnosanchuk

Complete newbie to the large print world. My company recently purchased a used SP-540V and put me in charge of setting it up and figuring out how to use it. Once we connected the proper crossover cable to both the printer and the computer, they seemed to begin to communicate. I installed the Versaworks disc included which was 2.21. I was then prompted to download the updates; there seemed to be 2 phases to bring me to the current version 4(?) Each time though VersaWorks said that the printer was "not connected." Now anytime I open Versaworks the printer settings dialogue box asks me for the TCP/IP(T); IP Address (I).......

This seems to be my wall. I've entered my computer's IP address, I've entered my computer's IP address with slight adjustments to the last digit, I've entered our company's network IP address (even though it's connected directly to my local computer, not our router) and I get the "device not found/connected" message. I've navigated through the menu settings on the printer hoping to find a possible printer IP address, but nothing.

What am I over looking or not doing correctly? Thank you.

Stormyj

Just another guy
What these guys said. Install that printserver nettool, and it will locate the ip address of the printer. enter that ip address into versaworks and it should be good to go.

Last edited:

bnosanchuk

What these guys said. Install that printserver nettool, and it will locate the ip address of the printer. enter that ip address into versaworks and it should be good to go.
Thanks all for the leads. I downloaded Intercon-NetTool as suggested and watched the youtube video that has the detailed walk through. I went into the IP wizard in InterCon-Nettool and entered my IP values. Its connected with a crossover cable, so no gateway IP is needed, right?

It's still telling me that it's not connecting. "Saving properties failed." Any additional suggestions? Thanks

brush1

I use router and network cables. You can use hub and network cable.
Cable can be your problem.
1. Open InterCom-NetTool. Your printer IP number will show automatically. If you don't see it you are not going to be able to set up your printer.
2. Click right on IP number. It will open IP Wizard.
3.Type your printer IP number again. Click next. You will see message.....property saved. Print server is restarting. Click OK.
4. Next.....open Versaworks.....go printer setup ......type your printer ID again......activate.....apply.....and OK.

Please be advise English is my second language.

bnosanchuk

Any reason why it's now being suggested to use a router? Why wouldn't the crossover cable work if its plugged into both the printer and my PC? I understand cables CAN be faulty and go bad, but it was a new cable purchase (investment) and when initially connected, began to communicate and start to download updates to VersaWorks; just not "connect" to the Printer.

player

I was telling you what I did that worked. It is a network printer. You are right though, it should work the way you are doing it.

bnosanchuk

6/20/14 Update:
Note sure what/how I did, but the IP address entered into the printer settings in Versaworks seemed to work and it's at least recognizing our SP-540V. It did not do that much previously. Versaworks is still telling me the setup is incomplete.

I really appreciate the help and tips so far. Everyone around me is anxious to get our Roland printing.

brush1

Well....you need to load material on the printer. Make it ready to print and check Versaworks.
You should have "ready to print" message. Next is job...setting....etc.