• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SP-540V Shutting off by itself

TadeoGDS

I need to know why is it that my printer ROLAND SP-540V is shutting off by itself while is printing,...
It printed a 20"x60" decal. Then a 12"x48" ... after that I started with the same piece and it stopped at 5". It shut off by itself. I turned it on and it printed 2". Then for the third time it printed 9" (always 48" width) and then stopped again. It shut off .
Always the second POWER. Not the primary. The button on the front of the printer, not the on eon the side...

Anyone can help?

My Tech Guy says he talked to Roland and they want me to change all the cables!!! That's like $800 just to see if that fixes the problem. then, they want me to change the (I think that's what is called) the optical reader or something... More money .. So, basically they want me to go through all the cables and readers before getting to the main board. So if it's the main board, it'll be $1500 for the board plus $$1200 cables and stuff BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO CLUE WHATSOEVER!!! What kind of Tech support is that . From ROLAND? They make the printer and they don;t know??? Seriously?

I smell something's wrong here...

Please anyone can help?

TadeoGDS

power supply

look at it, see if of the capacitors have a rounded top//

Sorry. You are talking Chinese LOL!!! English?
Should I look for a rounded top capacitor On the power supply? Is that the one with the problem you say?

Sorry, but I'm a graphic designer and I know nothing about electronics.. but I can tell my Tech guy what to look for ...

If you have a pic.. That would help...
Thanks!!!!!!

TadeoGDS

capacitors ok

power supply

look at it, see if of the capacitors have a rounded top//

I tried to print and it shut off in 0.5" print. Then I turned it on and it's been on (without printing) for almost 2 hours... Does that give you any more help to see if it's still the power supply?

All capacitors That I've seen are flat on top... Nothing looks like blown up ...

Robert M

Long shot

I would check your outlet and see if the power is steady. Maybe plug it in to another outlet if you don't have a volt meter.

Drip Dry

I need to know why is it that my printer ROLAND SP-540V is shutting off by itself while is printing,...
It printed a 20"x60" decal. Then a 12"x48" ... after that I started with the same piece and it stopped at 5". It shut off by itself. I turned it on and it printed 2". Then for the third time it printed 9" (always 48" width) and then stopped again. It shut off .
Always the second POWER. Not the primary. The button on the front of the printer, not the on eon the side...

Anyone can help?

My Tech Guy says he talked to Roland and they want me to change all the cables!!! That's like $800 just to see if that fixes the problem. then, they want me to change the (I think that's what is called) the optical reader or something... More money .. So, basically they want me to go through all the cables and readers before getting to the main board. So if it's the main board, it'll be $1500 for the board plus $$1200 cables and stuff BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO CLUE WHATSOEVER!!! What kind of Tech support is that . From ROLAND? They make the printer and they don;t know??? Seriously?

I smell something's wrong here...

Please anyone can help?

It's likely not the power supply or the main board.

I just went through this same problem.

After month's of having intermittent printing problems, the machine was running a 4 x 8 print, when after about 7" it just shut off.
i turned it on again, it cycled up and all seemed Ok
Started the same print, got about another 5" or so and it quit.
Turned it on, got just a little ways into the cleaning cycle, and guess what... quit

So I noticed every time the head came out, is when it would turn off.

The brand new tech came out and seemed clueless. He called his office, he called Roland. They all started with replace this cable and replace that board.
Since he didn't have the parts, and it quit every time the carriage came out, he decided the only thing he could do is clean the rail. I couldn't believe how much dirt and ink came out. After he cleaned it and lubricated it, it's been running fine for the last 3 days.
You can move the head out so that you can move it back and forth by hand, so you can clean the entire rail. Make sure you lubricate it with oil. I think he used 3 in 1 oil
You should be able to move the head back and forth without any friction

Try this before you spend any money

TadeoGDS

SERIOUSLY?!!!! OH MY!!!!!

The metallic rail where the heads and cut carriage slides left to right, right? I can't believe it!!!! I'll try it tomorrow!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

TadeoGDS

I would check your outlet and see if the power is steady. Maybe plug it in to another outlet if you don't have a volt meter.

I did try another outlet. from another line... Same thing ...

And it shuts off randomly... It could print 40 minutes or shut off in 1 minute...

player

Clean the rails with 99% isopropyl alcohol. You should lube the rail with a thick clear grease. Put a little dab on top and bottom, and manually move the head back and forth a foot or so. Keep adding small dabs and spreading it out from end to end. Then take a swab and remove the excess from both sides of the head.

There is also a gear on the scan motor that needs lubricating as well. behind the docking station where the cable gets wound up you will see it.

There is also a gear on the pump that gets lubed.

This is the brand of grease I use, and my Roland tech said it was really good:
http://www.super-lube.com/

attachment.php

I use the small tube on the left.

Attachments

• superlube.jpg
    superlube.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 580

phototec

$500 apron with labor. Has to be ROLAND for that model....

I'm a graphic designer also (0ver 25 years at Texas Instruments and Dell), but I would NOT pay the newbe tech to install a power supply, even you can do that, it's not rocket science, look at the old one, take photos of all connections, remove, add new power supply, fire it up!

Save a couple hundred $ for 3o minutes of work.

:thumb:

TadeoGDS

apparently you were right!!!! The tech guy came over and cleaned the rail and the carriage strip and I had a carriage board so he changed it. The power was excellent all the way through. It just needed a good deep cleaning and the clear carriage strip was moving so he took i out, clean it and put it back again. Printing pretty good.
Thank You so much !!!!!

Walter