• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SP 540V?

Oneeyedjack1

So I have been looking to get a print/cut unit for awhile now and new to this. I am in Canada and am looking at a refurbished 2009 Roland SP 540V. Price is $8,995 from a dealer with 6 month warranty on parts. Also get a set CMYK 440ml inks, cleaning kit and roll of new 54”x150’ vinyl Gloss or Matte finish. Here is what was done to the machine. Let me know what you guys think.

The following have been replaced:
Head Board
2 print heads
2 cap tops
45 degree blade
2 dampers
Sheet cut blade
Scan Motor

Dan360

I wonder if this is the 540 we sold to a dealer a couple years ago. lol

I was never a huge fan of the 540v, I mean it was a decent printer, got the job done. Quality on ours wasn't great, but I think that was cuz the heads were so bad. Also ours had no motorized take-up reel which was a huge pain, but we were pretty low volume at the time so we managed.

I think ours was having so many issues that it left a bad impression on me.

Oneeyedjack1

Damn hope it's not!! Thanks for the reply. They have a vp540 but be about 4-6 weeks for parts to fix it. Also 2009 $10,695 with same warranty and stuff. I'm picking it up so it's quite the drive and with prairie winters not sure I want to do that in late december.

strypguy

I love my SP540V. I'm not a high production shop and that helps as the printer is not the fastest. I've learned to replace most every part of this machine including the heads which makes it easier to maintain and working properly. It really is a workhorse. Remember they are nothing like a desktop printer. They do require maintenance and repairs you can't do yourself will be expensive. It looks like they have replaced some of the more expensive parts and the price reflects that. John

Oneeyedjack1

Thx. As I am just getting into this I don't think speed will be an issue. So is there more maintenance on the sp compared to the vp, thought I read somewhere the sp was more maintenance but have read so much the last month or so it's tough to keep it all straight.

player

I had an SP for many years and got a VP replacement. 4 heads on the VP but 2 on the SP. With the SP no matter how well you set up the printer, there is always slight banding. The print heads (Epson dx4) are 2 channel (2 separate colors). The SP shares the heads with different ink colours in the same head. Blue and black in one head, red and yellow in the other. This sharing can cause some problems. Sometimes the ink would contaminate themselves, the red goes back into the yellow. The VP has a head for each colour which eliminates the contamination problem, banding problems and doubles the printing speed. The SP is a workhorse, but if you can get the VP it would be a good upgrade. But if I was spending $8K I would spend more and get a new print only machine, then buy a separate cutter. I might even check out HP.

You need to see the hours of use these used machines have on them. This information is stored in the printer and you should get them to print this info off the machine in your presence. The printer stores the headshots/ use of the heads, headstrikes (bad) and lots of other info. I would also buy a roll of 54" vinyl and print 20' long prints of images that will show issues. High res photos, plus large areas of solid colours. Same with the cutter. Run print cut jobs to check the alignment. DO NOT buy a unit that has issues with promises of getting it fixed AFTER you own it. It may never get fixed once they have your cash. These are huge purchases and you could get screwed. Be very very critical and suspicious. Think of the printer salesmen as used car salesmen. Don't trust or believe them.

Last edited:

Oneeyedjack1

Thanks Player. I was considering a Mutoh 1324. I have a Jaguar iv cutter already so had been thinking of going that route. Think I will tell the guy it's a no on the sp540.

DNH

Thanks Player. I was considering a Mutoh 1324. I have a Jaguar iv cutter already so had been thinking of going that route. Think I will tell the guy it's a no on the sp540.
I have a Roland sp540 that we don't use much anymore and was thinking of selling it. It's been a great machine for us. If you are interested, let me know.

timkaz227

I use an SP-540v. I bought it used and have never really had any major issues. Most issue I had I was able to fix with the help of the forum. I too am a low volume shop when it comes to the wide format. The only time I ever had issues with the banding was when I had some clogged nozzles/deflection.

Is he a Roland dealer? or just someone who sells used equipment? Will they give you a 60-90 warranty on the printer?