• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Sp300 - Grainy Print

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
Have one specific logo (person made originally in a newer version of Illustrator than what I use, so couldn't open it, told them to re-save to CS5, then they emailed it over) - that is printing grainy. Almost like it is not vector. Even when I scale it down it is real blurry when it prints - looks fine in Illy.

Everything else I am designing locally on my Illy is printing relatively fine - but have noticed some grainy prints on areas that I spot colored from the aforementioned logo.

Is it a specific color from the original logo? So logo is grainy, and a particular light blue that was spot colored on other elements I created are grainy as well.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Sign Works

Something I learned here recently. Although Illy wont open newer version files it will place them, file menu > place.

printhog

Print a copy on your basic office printer to see if it's the file. If grainy there it's the file.

its only a freaking sign!

Hey Engstrom Graphics,

Printhog is right, if the grainy print occurs on another printer, such as a desktop printer, then the problem is the artwork file.

If you have additional questions or need extra support directly from Roland corporate support, please submit an "official" support request form online here: Product Support Form | Roland

If you do write us, we look forward to helping you and take care,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

Joe House

That's why printers now commonly come with light cyan, magenta and black. They also fire smaller dots now. I think you're up against a limitation of your printer having only CMYK without the light versions. In order get light blue with regular cyan, it has to fire the dots further away from each other and the result is what you're seeing. You probably would see some grainy flesh tones as well.
If it's too objectionable for this job, you might want to sub this print out to someone with a printer that uses light cyan.