• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Roland sp300

hics

I have a Roland sp300 not printing

My wife died 3 years ago and this printer has been setting since then. I'm sure the print heads are all dried out.
Is there anyway I can recover and start using this machine again?
I am pretty good and doing and repairing my own electronics.
Is this a project I may be able to do?
I hate to spend 4000 as quoted from roland
I don't even know if the printer value is that high?
Anyplace cheaper to buy the parts?

hics

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Well would you use it for lets say $3000 worth?
If not don't buy a printer just outsource the work from someone.

netsol

that printer will not do what you want.
it is not a desktop printer
it needs a program with a rip (raster image processor)

you would be better off buying a decent photo printer (epson or hp)

hics

that printer will not do what you want.
it is not a desktop printer
it needs a program with a rip (raster image processor)

you would be better off buying a decent photo printer (epson or hp)
I have that software that ce with the printer when I bought it new. It is a very little used printer, it's just sat too long since my wife died

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
If you are just going to print personal photos, then as Netsol suggested, get a nice quality photo printer for $200-300 and have fun. $1500 is a good estimate for all the parts needed for bringing the SP300 back to life, plus the time and labor to get it up, but it will be very expensive for printing photos, and it won't match the desktop photo printer for image quality.

netsol

jim
the flexisign desktop drivers work fine, but how would he do what he wants to do with roland software (versaworks?)

Roper1967

Well if you used to make decals with it you should have the software needed. Fixed the machine is probably worth around $3000. But if you don't use it a lot you will have issues with it. This machines are great ! But they need to run everyday not once a week or month.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
jim
the flexisign desktop drivers work fine, but how would he do what he wants to do with roland software (versaworks?)
He would treat the photos like any file. The difficulties lie in minimum media width and the SP300 is not designed for small pieces of media, for starters.
If hics can clarify he is just printing personal photos, like 5x7, 8x10, etc., that will help. If that is the case, then using the SP-300 will be very labor intensive, as opposed to a desktop photo printer designed for that purpose.

hics

I have made decals before with this machine.
The machine has very few total hours on it. I bought it new. I may make decals agsin and would like to print some of my artwork (drawings) with I may sell. I have aver 200 drawings I have done in last couple of years. Lots of people want me to sell them. I may try to print on canvas or in sizes of 8x10 or do to sell.
I hate to throw the printer away but it's not much use as it is. I'm just trying to figure if repairing it is worth the trouble ( I can do the labor) or if I should throw it away.
I appreciate all of your opinions.

hics

I have made decals before with this machine.
The machine has very few total hours on it. I bought it new. I may make decals agsin and would like to print some of my artwork (drawings) with I may sell. I have aver 200 drawings I have done in last couple of years. Lots of people want me to sell them. I may try to print on canvas or in sizes of 8x10 or do to sell.
I hate to throw the printer away but it's not much use as it is. I'm just trying to figure if repairing it is worth the trouble ( I can do the labor) or if I should throw it away.
I appreciate all of your opinions.