• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SP540 poping fuses for head

Expresssignsnc

my roland just quit printing the black and cyan, found that it poped the fuse on the main board, replaced the fuse and poped this one also. wanted to know if anyone has ran into this problem before. I was told by the tech he only knows to replace parts till it fixes the problem, well with the parts between the fuse and the head that comes to about $2,800.00 plus install.

I know there is a short somewhere, but the $2,800.00 question is where.

Any suggestions are welcome

Thank You Andy

Does it pop as soon as you turn the power on or once you start printing?

What condition are the heads in? Are they covered with ink dust, the circuit board area is the area I'm referring to.. sometimes this can cause a short at the head itself.

Are the ribbon cables in straight on the heads and boards? Might want to pull them and look to make sure the ends are all straight.

You can do some diagnosis, like moving the ribbon cables from the head that works to the head that is popping the fuse and see if the fuse still pops.

My guess... off the top of my head, with nothing else to go on. You have a bad head. Just a guess though.

Expresssignsnc

it pops it as soon as power is put to it. And it went from printing fine for 4 days to sending the next print job and the black and cyan was gone. the heads are printing great, I have cleaned the cables and checked the ends all looks good, cleaned the carriage board and reinstalled it. I was going to remove the head and clean the board on it tomm, it does have a lot of ink dust on it.

Expresssignsnc

Well I decided to stay late tonight and do a test. I installed a new fuse (nerve racking) disconnected the black and cyan head and added power, all good , then connected the cables from carriage board black cyan connection to yellow megenta head and did a test print All good. So this would lead me to beleave that black cyan head has the short in it.

now my head hurts and I'm going home.

DRW

I had the same problem on a sp300, which I believe has the same board. I even did a post about it here on signs101. As soon as the sub power was turned on, the fuse popped. After the fuse popped, I took the board in and had it wired for a removable fuse, then plugged it back in and it popped again. Installed a higher amp fuse, still popped. Took the board into a local pinball machine repair shop, to find out there was a bad conducter on the board itself, shorting out the fuse. Had it replaced, worked perfectly after that.