• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Sp540i Ink Problems

Brit

Hi im getting un wanted ink marks on my printing and i cant find out why can any body help photo enclosed tks
also my test print is not looking g8 is there anything i can do to improve the black and red?

Attachments

• 17274084_742691669224337_1404804244_n.jpg
    17274084_742691669224337_1404804244_n.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 573
  • 17274666_742691695891001_1963199698_n.jpg
    17274666_742691695891001_1963199698_n.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 459

printhog

Your cyan and k heads are very dirty. Your magenta and yellow look correct. The red output looks fine, just bad k channel.

1. Wipers.. when were they last cleaned and when last replaced?

2. Cap station.. same questions.

3. Drain pumps.. do the cap stations drain if you fill them with cleaning fluid?

I suspect you just have very dirty heads, but the converged lines on the head test may indicate some early blockages. A good soaking overnight with the heads parked in cleaning fluid will likely restore to perfect. My Roland looks like this if I leave it to itself for several weeks.

its only a freaking sign!

Brit

thanks for quick response i have just changed the wipers sorry i didnt mean red meant cyan
what is cap Station i have some cleaning Fluid cartridges but i have no idea how to use them or how to drain the pumps
what it the best way to soak heads over night do i have to take them off? i really appreciate your help im very new to this tks

Brit

thanks for quick response i have just changed the wipers sorry i didnt mean red meant cyan
what is cap Station i have some cleaning Fluid cartridges but i have no idea how to use them or how to drain the pumps
what it the best way to soak heads over night do i have to take them off? i really appreciate your help im very new to this tks

Hi I have cleaned the cap stations & poured fluid through them and they are draining ok,
I tried three 20 min head soaks and one overnight soak and the patterns are the same so i done a heat flush
using Roland cleaning fluid cartridges as instructed by my machine everything is very clean
but i now have now black or blue ink coming through at all
I have tried printing a very large area of solid black and blue but i only get two different coloured reds printed
I have checked and the cartridges are in the right places.
Is there any way i can pump just the black and blue through ?
The cleaning i have done has used a look of ink i only use Roland ink any help would be G8 tks

printhog

If the soaks and flush didn't clear the issue you will need to replace that printhead. But first we if you really have ink flow thru those channels...

. do you have full dampers and can you pull ink thru manually with a syringe attached to a spare cap top? If you have ink flow, but no print, bad head or cables or board. If you have no ink flow, you may have plugged dampers. Tiny bits of ink sludge can plug the filters after flushing.

Strive to get fluid flow thru your heads. Also.. how are the wipers... They help the heads prime as well as cleaning. If they're old replace.

Brit

If the soaks and flush didn't clear the issue you will need to replace that printhead. But first we if you really have ink flow thru those channels...

. do you have full dampers and can you pull ink thru manually with a syringe attached to a spare cap top? If you have ink flow, but no print, bad head or cables or board. If you have no ink flow, you may have plugged dampers. Tiny bits of ink sludge can plug the filters after flushing.

Strive to get fluid flow thru your heads. Also.. how are the wipers... They help the heads prime as well as cleaning. If they're old replace.

Thank again wippers are new i will get a syringe today and try again your a star

hi todays update i have got ink into the Dampers by sucking from the bottom of the dampers it is now printing blue and black
but when i done a print test the black was even worse than before and now it doesnt even show although it is printing black
I dont know if this is due to there being no ink in the heads last night so i have given the another over night head soak
however the blue has made some improvement
I have just read your last message again, and i will try tomorrow to use a spare cap top to draw though the black tks for help

Attachments

• 17352773_744289235731247_425755432_n.jpg
    17352773_744289235731247_425755432_n.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 490
  • 17321548_744289255731245_139483844_n.jpg
    17321548_744289255731245_139483844_n.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 449
  • 17328073_744289315731239_609234989_n.jpg
    17328073_744289315731239_609234989_n.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 430

Brit

Thank again wippers are new i will get a syringe today and try again your a star

hi todays update i have got ink into the Dampers by sucking from the bottom of the dampers it is now printing blue and black
but when i done a print test the black was even worse than before and now it doesnt even show although it is printing black
I dont know if this is due to there being no ink in the heads last night so i have given the another over night head soak
however the blue has made some improvement
I have just read your last message again, and i will try tomorrow to use a spare cap top to draw though the black tks for help

Attachments

• 17352773_744289235731247_425755432_n.jpg
    17352773_744289235731247_425755432_n.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 411
  • 17328073_744289315731239_609234989_n.jpg
    17328073_744289315731239_609234989_n.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 398

mikesign

Try pulling in from the lines that go into the pump. There is a wishbone connection where the lines meet before they go into the pump. With a syringe pull the ink thru the line and that will start the ink flowing thru the head. Black and Cyan are the same head and line.

Brit

Hi thanks for the help
I done that and i now have all colour printing again
The print test is slightly better now on the blue than it was before i started but the black hasn't improved that much
At least now it is not putting ink marks where they are not required
Do you think its time to buy a new head?

Attachments

• Print Test - 12 March.jpg
    Print Test - 12 March.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 456
  • Print Test - 17 March.jpg
    Print Test - 17 March.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 431

mikesign

Hi thanks for the help
I done that and i now have all colour printing again
The print test is slightly better now on the blue than it was before i started but the black hasn't improved that much
At least now it is not putting ink marks where they are not required
Do you think its time to buy a new head?
the test print does not look all that bad. The black is a little iffy but the other colors look o.k. I'd keep going with the same head.

printhog

Keep working that head. Here's a tip. Underneath the machine is a hole.. below the capping station. It uses a slotted tool to manually screw the capping station motor up and down. (My buddy threw ours out, so I cut a slot on the end of a piece of 3/8" nylon rod. )

With POWER OFF screw the capping station down.

Slide the carriage to the left a bit to see the caps.

Clamp the drain lines ABOVE the pump with hemostats. Keep them clear of the carriage.

Fill each cap with flush.

Slide the carriage back and align it to the caps.. (there are guides on the left and right that stick down for that).

Raise the cap station assembly so the caps compress onto the heads to form a seal.

Let it soak. For a weekend. This will put solvent directly in contact with the yuck that's blocking the k/c head.

Remove the hemostats.

Run a cleaning cycle (press clean and power at same time)

Likely will resolve. If not, repeat the process. It takes time for the chemicals to work.

I'm pretty sure the 540 has similar tech to the soljet2 we've got. We use this cleaning method monthly just cause.

ams

If it was mine, I'd replace the black printhead. Not worth the trouble to spend so much time, effort and money to keep trying to fix it for so long. It can also be a calibration issue, but the fuzzy parts on the print test isn't good. But again that's just me.

Hey brit,

The contributors above have all provided great suggestions and we agree that it's looking like time to replace the head. Contact your authorized Roland dealer to discuss getting the head replaced, installed and the printer back up and running.

If you have additional questions or need extra support directly from Roland corporate support, please submit an "official" support request form online here: Product Support Form | Roland

If you do write us, we look forward to helping you and take care,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn