Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Question Roland sp540v - burned head connector

Discussion in 'Roland' started by ljpro, Mar 15, 2020.

1. ljpro

ljpro New Member

Sep 3, 2013
    slovakia
    Hello.
    I have this problem that happened today. I was changing the dumpers on my Roland sp540v. While I was doing that the cable that is connected to the print head started to fall out, and then it sparked and smoked. The cable that I pulled out had 2 connectors burned and that one head stopped printing. The other head(black and blue) prints fine, but this one does not at all. I even tried to change the cable and the print head for another one, but it still doesnt print.
    Any ideas on what could have gone wrong?
    Thanks!

2. woolly

woolly Active Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Cornwall uk
    no telling whats happened but next time you will switch the machine off before doing such things wont you...
    you may be lucky check the head fuses and new a cable may have to try and clean the burnt head connector.

3. ljpro

ljpro New Member

Sep 3, 2013
    slovakia
    I'm sorry I forgot to mention ... I checked the fuses and they were OK. Also I tried another cable that was not burned at it still didnt work, which means cleaning the cable probably wont work.
    But thanks for the reply.

4. Jim Hancock

Jim Hancock Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Did you resolve your issue? Which fuses did you check? The main power fuses or the fuses on the mainboard, which are very small and you need to know where they are. I would be almost certain you blew a fuse on the mainboard and possibly an output driver transistor.

5. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    He could have fried the head-board too?

You can check the head by swapping cables from the working head to the non working head. ***Turn off the printer at both powers and then unplug the power cable. Wait 15 minutes.

6. Jim Hancock

Jim Hancock Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Delray Beach, Florida
    SP-540V "head board" is a part of the mainboard. Agree on cable swapping to test head. See attached pic...

Attached Files: