• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland sp540v yellow lines randomly.

wilmingtonsigns

The lines are 1/16" - 1/4" and approx. 3"L N to S, vertical. Usually the same distance from the right hand side. I cleaned the encoder tape real well, it's only 3 months old. I cleaned the carriage board (there was some ink spray on it). The head is about 4 months old.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• photo[1].JPG
    photo[1].JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 324

player

Have you turned off the main and sub power?

Did you clean the encoder strip before or after the yellow debacle?

SIGNTIME

thats not an encoder strip issue the encoder strip just lets the printer know where it is left and right if it had something to do with the encoder strip there would be steps in the print. You shouldn't really clean or touch the encoder strip because you are likely to do more damage all it takes is a little scratch.

Oldoldoldman

lines

Hi, were gona be good friends by the time one of us figures this out. I have black lines random like your yellow ones. I been fighting this for 6 months and have been able to print stickers around it, just pick out the bad ones. Its probably not your main board cause I replaced mine and no help. Let me know if you figure it out. You can look for my post a few weeks ago to see what mine does. I t seems to be print speed related and usually happens at the start or right side of the print no mater where that happens to be. If I just print in the center thats where they will mostly be or if I print full width they will mostly be on the right side and lots of times outside of the print area. Some times they anticipate the print starting and will be by themselves an inch before the print. If I print real slow and one direction they might not show up at all. I have a sc-540 by the way. tom

Davidford7

Hi, were gona be good friends by the time one of us figures this out. I have black lines random like your yellow ones. I been fighting this for 6 months and have been able to print stickers around it, just pick out the bad ones. Its probably not your main board cause I replaced mine and no help. Let me know if you figure it out. You can look for my post a few weeks ago to see what mine does. I t seems to be print speed related and usually happens at the start or right side of the print no mater where that happens to be. If I just print in the center that's where they will mostly be or if I print full width they will mostly be on the right side and lots of times outside of the print area. Some times they anticipate the print starting and will be by themselves an inch before the print. If I print real slow and one direction they might not show up at all. I have a sc-540 by the way. tom

Hey, Roland told me they have never had this problem. I fought the same issue for 5 months. It only happened in the first 10 inches of the print when it did happen. Very random.
First the dealer told me it was static. That went on for 4 months ( November to March). We bought humidifiers, anti-static mats, anti-static cords, and anti-static blowers, nothing helped. It continued to get worse, the lines appeared more frequently. They changed the encoder strip, the encoder board, and several other parts checked every cable.Next Roland then sent new main board, encoder board, new heads, new cables, everything (I mean everything) except the frame and stand. Finally last month they changed the machine out. It was still under warranty, barely. VS540

Oldoldoldman

Did they change out the head board that fires the heads or the power supply? Anything else they didn't change out cause they missed something and I need to know what it might be.So far your our only hope to solve this. Do you think the rep found out from Roland what it was?
tom

wilmingtonsigns

Did they change out the head board that fires the heads or the power supply? Anything else they didn't change out cause they missed something and I need to know what it might be.So far your our only hope to solve this. Do you think the rep found out from Roland what it was?
tom

I found a Verizon router on the same electrical circuit as the printer. I moved it to another outlet. The printer printed w/out yellow streaks for a few hours.I thought problem solved. Streaks came back tonight, I turned off main power, turned it back on and reprinted the same file w/o streaks. I was told by a tech I will have to replace the headboard or head or both. Now, after reading your post I am not sure what needs to be done. Thanks for your input.

phototec

Hey, Roland told me they have never had this problem. I fought the same issue for 5 months. It only happened in the first 10 inches of the print when it did happen. Very random.
First the dealer told me it was static. That went on for 4 months ( November to March). We bought humidifiers, anti-static mats, anti-static cords, and anti-static blowers, nothing helped. It continued to get worse, the lines appeared more frequently. They changed the encoder strip, the encoder board, and several other parts checked every cable.Next Roland then sent new main board, encoder board, new heads, new cables, everything (I mean everything) except the frame and stand. Finally last month they changed the machine out. It was still under warranty, barely. VS540

WOW, just WOW!

This horror stories is almost unbelievable, they changed:
the encoder strip
the encoder board
several other parts
checked every cable
new main board
encoder board
new heads,
new cables
everything except the frame and stand

Finally last month they changed the machine out. It was still under warranty!

In the end Roland did the right thing (rare), and gave you a NEW printer.

That is what they should do every time they are notified of a LEMON printer, they can send it to the lab and reverse engineer the bad printer to find out what is causing the bad printing!
:rock-n-roll:

Oldoldoldman

Ok, on mine a simple head test is to switch the ribbons from the carriage board to the yellow and what ever color is next to it so cables reach and print to see if lines follow cables to the other head color or not. On mine color switched so is not head but was being sent from the carriage to the heads. Have you replaced any boards? MAKE SURE you turn everything off and unplug first. And yes they did what is right under warranty for him but what do we do without support of any kind. Is there someone we can talk to at Roland? tom

kffernandez

this happens to me once in a while.

in my case, it looks like an intermittent ground in your yellow data cable. my machine will print out something like what you're having now, and might then escalate into a full blown grounded head print. this means that all nozzles of that particular head would be firing for the whole width of the machine.

i was able to fix it by just reseating the corresponding cable [for that head] at the headboard side. that might or might not completely fix the problem. but i did notice that this happens to me pretty much every year. and usually during the rainy season [if not always]. apparently, the increased moisture in the air could trigger this type of problem.

kelly

Oldoldoldman

Strange but mine seems to be humidity sensitive some too. Took head board out and cleaned, checked ect and nothing different. I ran a ground wire through the black chain from frame by head board to carriage and it seems to help but still few random lines. Few months ago I switched the long cables from head board to carriage board but didnt fix so I dont think its the long cable? Any Roland repair men that know how to help us? Sometimes it seems to be fixed only to reappear. What are the symptoms of a bad head board? tom:banghead:

wilmingtonsigns

Strange but mine seems to be humidity sensitive some too. Took head board out and cleaned, checked ect and nothing different. I ran a ground wire through the black chain from frame by head board to carriage and it seems to help but still few random lines. Few months ago I switched the long cables from head board to carriage board but didnt fix so I dont think its the long cable? Any Roland repair men that know how to help us? Sometimes it seems to be fixed only to reappear. What are the symptoms of a bad head board? tom:banghead:

The problem is getting worse. It' s starting to look like majenta head before I replaced it. Like I said it is 4 months old I bought it from Solvent Ink Jet in Denver Co. The head should be good, I purchased a black and cyan head from them and its been fine for a year now. Any thoughts? Thanks