• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland tech needed re. mainboard RS 540 in VP 540

Wwonka

I talk with Roland DG Denmark as i e needed a new mainboard for my VP 540 ASAP, and he told me as RS 540 would is the same, so i bought one with my local dealer and got it and installed it yesterday. BUT the power of 41 volts doest get to all parts of the mainboard and wont power up.

we then found out that there is an extra powercord going from the power supply to the mainboard, placed next to the other powercord also comming from the powersupply. This extra powercord is not present at the old VP 540 mainboard, and we are not 100% sure where to take the 41 volts from either on the powersupply or from the neighbor cord on the mainboard. and can we solder the wires on from the mainboard to the powersupply, or do we need to have the powersupply from the RS 540 model as well in order to get it up and running.

And is there any further things we need to do??

I hope for some help on this ASAP, is really hung in a string after being scammed by MAC MEDIA for my mainboards

Knd regards and thanks for all help.

player

If it ultimately is the wrong board, I would return it, get the right board and get Roland to do everything. Then you will be running and making signs instead of the sh!t that is going on. I am sorry you are going through this.

Wwonka

roland rs 540 mainboard

Hi player.

Thx for your understanding :).

But the board is the correct board, it fits both models, and is sold as such all over the internet. And they are identical except for the 41 volt plug on the RS board vs th VP board.

So the only question is only what to do with this extra plug since its the plug that powers the mainboard itself and the fact that on the powersupply board for the VP 540 there is no plug directly for the extra plug on the RS board (hope it makes sense :)).

I like your advice about the tech, and i would have gone that way ofcourse if there was money left on my account, but there is not. And the other fact that leaves me uninterested is that the bleed for the new board is close to 2000 $ furthermore a Tech here in Denmark is a least 1-3000$ ekstra for work i can easily do myself, as i am an electrical engineer myself.

and i do understand the basics here. and have been doing funny things with Roland printers for the past 7 years.

The only thing i havent any exp on is the defective ip part on board.

netsol

pwr supply to main board

our pc600 has 2 cables from power supply to main board. 41v and 5 volt.

does your 540 have (2) 41 v cables and (1) 5 v?

i wouldn't jumper it until we see if 1is switched and the other always 41v

GP_Oz

Just looking at part numbers from digi

Mind you its been years since i had to work with rolands, but I think this is where its all gone wrong.
[h=1]VP-540i Main Board - 6700989010[/h]
Manufacturer: Roland
Printer compatibility: Roland VP-300i / VP-540i / RS-540 / RS-640
DP part number : PBOROVP003

The part number for the vp 540 is different.

[h=1]VP-540 Main Board - 6700469010[/h]
Manufacturer: Roland
Printer compatibility: Roland VP-540 / VP-300
DP part number : PBOROVP002

Wwonka

Ohhh, doesnt look good :), but what puzzles me is that the VP 540 is opgradable to VP 540i standard, so in some sense it should be compatible.

I am not sure about if they are both 41 volt cables or not, but i think they are as i remember, more inpots very welcome.

We havent done anything yet, waiting until monday, or until someone who is 100% sure posts here something that makes sense :)

player

Ohhh, doesnt look good :), but what puzzles me is that the VP 540 is opgradable to VP 540i standard, so in some sense it should be compatible.

I am not sure about if they are both 41 volt cables or not, but i think they are as i remember, more inpots very welcome.

We havent done anything yet, waiting until monday, or until someone who is 100% sure posts here something that makes sense :)

Because the 540 can run the software (firmware) of the 540i does not mean the internal boards and electronics are identical or swapable. Hopefully the dealer will swap it for you.

Wwonka

Got the correct mainboard, now i have a problem installing the firmware.

when i power on it says SUM ERROR then i enter the menu and uses 192.168.000.100 for IP and 255.255.255.000 for subnetmask and gateway all 000.000.000.000 and then the printer states "Waiting" for firmware i guess).

I use the CO-PECK 7 tool to select port and use type 3 and then enters the ip adress 192.168.000.100 pressing the restart button then it says "communicating" then i press ok.

Then i launch VPfirm 480 firmware installer where i can choose VP 540 install or user input IP i choose the last and enters 192.168.000.100 and it states can not find a printer.

Where does it go wrong, can someone pls describe the precise routione to go throught, i do have the service manual and hase gone through the stepsfor installing a new mainboard without having use the copeck tool to retrieve a report first.

Thanks for all help

Wwonka

we tride to ping the printer on the network and it wouldent return data saying unreable, then we changed some ports for the cable, and now we can ping the printer and get return of data, so the computer can now see the printer, but when we start the copeck 7 tool and press selct port and enters the same ip 192.168.1.242 and press restart in the copeck it says fail to recieve, is that because the firmware is not installed??

Then i try to start the VP-540 4.80 firmware installer with the same ip adress 192.168.1.242 and it says "cannot find a printer pls use manual ip setup or turn on powerswitch" eventhough that i can ping the printer with this ip adress.

I am at a loss here, what is it i am missing ????

Got the correct mainboard, now i have a problem installing the firmware.

when i power on it says SUM ERROR then i enter the menu and uses 192.168.000.100 for IP and 255.255.255.000 for subnetmask and gateway all 000.000.000.000 and then the printer states "Waiting" for firmware i guess).

I use the CO-PECK 7 tool to select port and use type 3 and then enters the ip adress 192.168.000.100 pressing the restart button then it says "communicating" then i press ok.

Then i launch VPfirm 480 firmware installer where i can choose VP 540 install or user input IP i choose the last and enters 192.168.000.100 and it states can not find a printer.

Where does it go wrong, can someone pls describe the precise routione to go throught, i do have the service manual and hase gone through the stepsfor installing a new mainboard without having use the copeck tool to retrieve a report first.

Thanks for all help

Peter J

we tride to ping the printer on the network and it wouldent return data saying unreable, then we changed some ports for the cable, and now we can ping the printer and get return of data, so the computer can now see the printer, but when we start the copeck 7 tool and press selct port and enters the same ip 192.168.1.242 and press restart in the copeck it says fail to recieve, is that because the firmware is not installed??

Then i try to start the VP-540 4.80 firmware installer with the same ip adress 192.168.1.242 and it says "cannot find a printer pls use manual ip setup or turn on powerswitch" eventhough that i can ping the printer with this ip adress.

I am at a loss here, what is it i am missing ????

Hi are you able to transfer data from old main board to new bord before uninstall old board?