• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Versa Camm - Printing white ink....?

I need help. We have a Roland VersaCamm VS-640. Trying to print an image on clear static cling, in reverse and would like to flood the background with white after printing CMYK. We've tried all the settings in VersaWorks, following instructions from tutorials found on Rolanddga.com and are not achieving the results we are looking for. How/What is the process?

It's a simple American flag image, but it needs to be printed in reverse to put on the inside of a window, so after printing red and blue we would like to put a solid white background over the top of the printed cmyk. Does that make sense?

J Hill Designs

yes, I have a solid white vector behind the american flag. I've also saved the solid white vector as it's own file. Neither worked.

define 'not working' -- does versaworks not 'see' the white?

perhaps the white needs to be on top
perhaps when you are exporting, the spot gets converted to cmyk

It's not printing any white at all after I vectorized the image. When the image was a bitmap, the white printed more solid where the black text is and only a transparency where the red and blue are. Would it matter what type of file it's saved as? Would a raster image work better than a vector? Does White need to be converted to a spot color in order for it to work?

splizaat

just remember, a second pass of white will completely destroy your work flow for the day and any price that you planned on competing with, and takes ten times longer to print. Never....ever....again. :)

splizaat

Because as second pass of white will quadruple the print time, and white ink isn't cheap. :) I am totally loving the idea of the white ink in our printer, but everytime a clear sticker job is requested, I do everything in my power to steer them back to white vinyl.

Is there something I'm missing...It would take three days to run 500 little clear stickers with a second pass of white.

SolitaryT

The easiest way I've found to do these types of jobs is to print a decal backwards on clear, and then laminate it with WHITE VINYL (with white backing & adhesive obviously) instead of printing clear. Then, all you have to do is either cut out or re-do the registration marks (with Roland, cutting a sheet of small black circles and rectangles works perfect, just weed them and drop them DIRECTLY over the printed registration marks), feed it back through, and make sure your printer is set to cut through two layers of vinyl (like any other laminated cut job), and do it up. Save time and have an "indestructible" white backing.

splizaat

And what do you do when you have a clear label (let's use a square in this example) with blue and green lettering on it - to be used as a regular sticker...You must print white only under the colored area.