• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland versacamm sp300 power surge

Hello,

We had a power surge at our home which tripped two breakers. I now noticed that my printer has been effected.
I can turn on the printer and it will fire up do test prints etc at the panel. When i try to send work off my computer over to the printer it is not reconizing it. Computer is saying "Switch to Off"
Has anyone had this happen to them or can anyone give any suggestions on what has happened.
Could it be the main board or a fuse in the main board?

I would appreciate any help.
Thank you,
Stacy

Check on your Versaworks...Printer/Printer Status....does the Versaworks see the printer? Also, try the PECK tool...does the PECK tool see the printer...be sure to check the USB and SP series boxes. You may have blown a communication board...just thinking out loud.... Are the lights blinking on the side of your printer where you plug into the printer?? You may need to contact your local dealer.

We had a customer's printer take a HUGE power surge without a protector....$8,000 and we shipping to Roland direct ....due to replacing so many parts...like chasing your tail...you replace one new part and another blows...it was not easy at all.

Techman

I am trying to understand if you have a good surge protector how a surge would hit the Printer.

Because some surge protectors are nothing more than a power strip.

A good protector will blow its safety diodes and never work again if it encounters a damaging charge. So if someone says they had a power surge and then continue to use that safety device then it is obvious this device didn't protect anything. It is obvious the device was nothing more than a power strip.

But,
If a charge is large enuf it will jump the diode gaps and destroy anything in its path any way. In that case the power company may be responsible for the damage.

NCSignTech

What model printer do you have? Keep in mind that the surge could have entered on the communication cable damaging your network card or communication port depending on printer model.

The model is a SP300V
The lightning took out our internet also which the att guy had to replace a couple of coils outside of our home to get that working. So I would say this is not going to be an easy fix. :(

phototec

I know you are not felling so good right now, this is NOT going to be an easy (cheap) fix, I just want to take this opportunity, to Highly Recommend to all who read this, it is way cheaper in the long run to purchase a power (battery) backup with voltage regulation and good surge protection built in.

My SP540v and the computer work-station that drives it are both powered through an APC smart UPS 2200net, with power conditioning protects connected loads from surges, spikes, lightning, and other power disturbances.

This unit saved my printer just last week, we were in a medium rain event, and all of the sudden, BAM, lighting hit very close, all the lights flickered and the power went off, other items not connected to the UPS experienced problems, however, I noticed all the lights on the smart UPS control panel flashing as it was dealing with the spike in power and then went into battery back up mode for a few minutes, when the power came back on, the smart UPS switched back into normal mode.

I read on signs101 a while back that someone here purchased a used one on ebay, so I searched ebay and got a good deal also, mine didn't have batteries when purchased, but that was a good thing, it made shipping cheaper, and I was able to purchase 4 new batteries, so I will be well protected for at least a few years as batteries last about 3-4 years.

Sorry this happened to you, but when you get your printer fixed, please consider some kid of protection going forward, it's good insurance.

:smile:

asd

if your computer can't see the printer then you will need to replace the main board, this is no cheap fix