• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Versacamm SP540v - Extreme Motor Error Noise

Masfx

Masfx Signs
Hello all, I bought a second hand SP540v last year and have had no issues with it up untill a couple weeks back when it wouldn't register the media clamps in turn not being able to set up sheet.
From there i have replaced the ribbon/flex cable from the cut carriage and it ran smooth again until last week Thursday when i had a job running and i was away from the printer. It seems it has completed the job and gone into standby, i turned it on only to hear the worst noise i have heard machinery to make as outlined in the attached video followed by "Motor Error 0088 0080" displayed on the screen. I have researched and researched and cannot find anything related to the noise, i did find many results for the motor error however and have gone over the machine (even redone the ribbon cable).
A list of things i have done thus far;
Cleaned Encoder Strip and sensor.
Cleaned and Oiled the Linear Bearing.
Ribbon/Flex Cable.
Let a little tension off the Left side Pulley.
Made sure Nut/Washer securing the pulley cable was tight on Carriage.
Tested to make sure Carriage and Head had next to no resistance.

I am not a full time sign writer so am not made of money, the nearest tech is 2 1/2 hours away and costs $400 just to get him up here without any diagnosis so have resorted to forums to start with.

Short video outlining the issue as found here -

Any help / diagnosis or fixes will be extremely appreciated to say the least!

Thank you,
Dennis

C5 Service&Repair

few things. The constant grinding noise is some trash down in the vacuum motors. The clunking at every pass when the heads get back near home is the heads hitting the capping station. The 080 error means that the scan motor is constantly drawing too much current until it throws that error to protect the system.
The cable that moves the carriage needs to have a certain amount of tension on it, by loosening the pulley, youve released tension getting it out of spec.
Do a limit initialization, and linear calibration. You'll need to remove the front heater to get whatever trash fell down in there grinding in the vacuum motors, and likely will need a scan motor, but the limit initialization might fix your 080 errors.

Masfx

Masfx Signs
Thank you for your speedy response C5, I will have to check the vacuum motors when i get home from work. Would the heads hitting the capping station be a cause of the station itself not dropping down after cleaning? Something i haven't actually looked at as it appeared they dropped down. The cable itself, i turned from 12 o'clock to 11 o'clock so i can put that back no fuss. I will be sure to check out what you have suggested this evening and report back. Thanks again!

Masfx

Masfx Signs
few things. The constant grinding noise is some trash down in the vacuum motors. The clunking at every pass when the heads get back near home is the heads hitting the capping station. The 080 error means that the scan motor is constantly drawing too much current until it throws that error to protect the system.
The cable that moves the carriage needs to have a certain amount of tension on it, by loosening the pulley, youve released tension getting it out of spec.
Do a limit initialization, and linear calibration. You'll need to remove the front heater to get whatever trash fell down in there grinding in the vacuum motors, and likely will need a scan motor, but the limit initialization might fix your 080 errors.
You sir are a legend, i thank you very much. It turns out it was the right side vacuum motor/fan. I pulled the plug to test if any issues arose from there and it worked flawlessly. I turned Roland back off and pulled the fan out to clean, it was filthy aswell as the tray underneath it. Hooked it back up and turned printer back on, same issue again with the noise/vibration and motor error. Have disconnected for now and will be buying a replacement to try out. In the meantime i followed your direction and it works so i can get back to catching up on orders. I really appreciate the help thank you sir!