• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Versacamm SP540V

TopFliteGraphics

I have an opportunity to purchase a used Roland SP540V. The situation is a local sign guy passed away a few months ago and his widow is looking to sell the equipment but does not want to hassle with CL or eBay. One of my neighbors, who is now my customer, used to be one of his customers and lives in the same neighborhood. She told him the other day she was going to sell the equipment and he told me about it.

The machine was in good working order up until his passing and since then has sat idle. She does not know how to run it other than to power it up and do a test print from the front console and it seems as if the computer her husband used to run it from has a virus and is not even able to boot up or load any programs. I don't have a lap top so I cannot bring my computer there without it being a hassle. She has the machine in their house in a/c. The laminator that would come with it is older as well but, what the heck, it would basically be free.

She is asking $3k for the printer, laminator, a decent work table, plus a closet full of cut vinyl, some Avery print vinyl, some banner material, and some canvas. If I need to do some minor refurbishing, what kind of money am I looking at? I see machines like this going for 5-6K. Is it worth it for me to give it a shot or should I just bit the bullet and buy new.

Bottom line for me is that I need to buy a printer soon and this looks like a good way to do it - saves me about $12-15K versus the new stuff I was looking at possibly buying.

Thanks in advance for your replies

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The SP series is an oldie but a goodie. $3k for all of that is a good deal. The worst case scenario you are looking at around $1500 to refurbish. Best case scenario the heads just need to be soaked and maybe flushed. It's going to be much slower than the modern version of these printers but it's still a solid machine.

strypguy

Sounds like a great deal. Did you do a test print from the console? That would show you if the heads are firing correctly and if there is any clogging or defections. If she left the printer plugged in it should be doing its periodic cleanings.John

TopFliteGraphics

Does anybody know what the ink cost per square foot on one of these is? I can obviously figure out the media costs but I hate relying on a salesman's cost basis. I would like to do a real world cost benefit/analysis versus what I currently outsource. I have spent over 1K this week alone on outsourced prints and would love to put some of that money back in the business or even my own pocket :)

Terry01

Many a sign shop was built around these printers. They have also paid for many houses
and boats.You can't go wrong owning one of these. Grab it as quick as you can for that price
before someone else does. you will end up with a hassle free printer if you are using it on
a daily basis.

TopFliteGraphics

I like the "They have paid for many houses and boats" part of your reply. I have been renting a house for WAY too long! Was actually planning on holding out on buying a new printer etc until my wife and I buy a house this coming summer but this seems like a deal that i should not pass up. Who knows, maybe the increase in profit will make it easier to save more money for the down payment :)

Terry01

If it has been left on, it will be fine and only require a few cleaning cycles to bring the heads back
up to scratch. It may need a head soak but that will be about all.

Sign Works

3K for a working SP-540V, what are you waiting for?
I've been running an SP-300V for 12 years now, only problem is that it's not the 540.

Attachments

• 691.jpg
    691.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

TopFliteGraphics

Well, thanks for all of your input, I have agreed to buy it. Now I have to wait for my neighbor to move out of the shop next door or find a bigger shop. My current office is WAY too small for the printer and my current plotter (which I will keep to run the stripe kits I sell online). Plus, the shop area is even too small for the laminator. The shop next door is 50% bigger and I plan on putting A/C in the whole thing. VERY EXCITED!!

timfse

I have an opportunity to purchase a used Roland SP540V. The situation is a local sign guy passed away a few months ago and his widow is looking to sell the equipment but does not want to hassle with CL or eBay. One of my neighbors, who is now my customer, used to be one of his customers and lives in the same neighborhood. She told him the other day she was going to sell the equipment and he told me about it.

The machine was in good working order up until his passing and since then has sat idle. She does not know how to run it other than to power it up and do a test print from the front console and it seems as if the computer her husband used to run it from has a virus and is not even able to boot up or load any programs. I don't have a lap top so I cannot bring my computer there without it being a hassle. She has the machine in their house in a/c. The laminator that would come with it is older as well but, what the heck, it would basically be free.

She is asking $3k for the printer, laminator, a decent work table, plus a closet full of cut vinyl, some Avery print vinyl, some banner material, and some canvas. If I need to do some minor refurbishing, what kind of money am I looking at? I see machines like this going for 5-6K. Is it worth it for me to give it a shot or should I just bit the bullet and buy new.

Bottom line for me is that I need to buy a printer soon and this looks like a good way to do it - saves me about $12-15K versus the new stuff I was looking at possibly buying.

Thanks in advance for your replies
i spent $20K on my versacamm. sp 540V but that was with Flex=Sign Pro, too.