• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland VP-540 Caps

SurfaceSigns

I've got a VP540 that has had very little use as a printer since it was bought in 2008. The dealer I bought it from went out of business, and the dealers here seem to prefer to service machines they sold first, so I've had to teach myself about the maintenance of the printer.

My question is about the cap stations. I was quoted $48.95 for new Roland cap's, so 4 puts me at about $200. When I see aftermarket caps for $13.95 each, I'm wondering if I am getting fleeced on the Roland parts. I run Roland Inks so haven't had an issue with earlywear on the caps, but am curious, are you guys buying the Roland parts, or after market? Are there any pros/cons to going with the aftermarket?

Finally, any recommendations on where to source these parts?

Thanks!

Clinton

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
The "cheap" caps are made cheaper. The rubber seals aren't as good as the Roland ones. And that is the most important part of the cap. It needs to keep a good seal on the head.
So if it's too hard of a rubber (cheap) and has no give like the Roland ones do...it won't do it's job as well and you'll have issues down the road sooner. My Roland Caps lasted 5 years before I started replacing any. I used cheap ones...and they started having issues after a few months or less. Went back to Roland ones and voila...they are working fine.
Some parts aren't worth the price...but capping station is one of those that is.
Wiper blades...go cheap. Dampers...toss up. The membrane on the cheap ones is stiffer and not as flexible as the OEM ones. But won't really hinder the performance that I've seen.
but I went back to OEM parts just the same for anything the print head comes in contact with except the wiper blades.

SurfaceSigns

I appreciate the info. Anyone have a contact for a Roland Dealer in the Pacific Northwest that has decent prices on parts?