• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland VP300 spools material while printing

stillhasdust

I have a VP300 and sometimes it likes to spool a bunch of material out while it is printing. It happens about once or twice per day. It is intermittent but the fact that I never know when it happens is the worst.

I might be printing a 48" job and it will spool out a quarter of a roll while still printing. The grit rollers just spin like crazy until I lift the lever to stop it.

I'm not sure what is causing this but I have updated the firmware and updated versaworks.
Before I start buying parts and troubleshooting this I was wondering if anybody has had this problem before or maybe has some suggestions to help me. Thank you for your help in advance.

Joe House

Try cleaning the grit encoder disk and sensor on the left end of the machine. This is what tells the printer how far the grit wheels have turned. I would suspect an error code would pop up, but this might just be the cause.
It's a clear plastic disk with tiny marks that the sensor counts as it goes around. Make sure that the printer is powered off and unplugged. Clean the disk with Isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth. Use some canned air to blow out the sensor on both sides of the disk.

stillhasdust

Try cleaning the grit encoder disk and sensor on the left end of the machine. This is what tells the printer how far the grit wheels have turned. I would suspect an error code would pop up, but this might just be the cause.
It's a clear plastic disk with tiny marks that the sensor counts as it goes around. Make sure that the printer is powered off and unplugged. Clean the disk with Isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth. Use some canned air to blow out the sensor on both sides of the disk.
Good idea!! I completely forgot about that disc.