• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland VS-540i Purchase

Custom Signs

I have an opportunity to purchase a used Roland VS-540i. Would you please give me your pros and cons for this machine? The unit is in excellent condition and has not been used very much and I will be purchasing it for a Great price. What is your opinion of this printer?

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
How much is it? Do the heads work, that is super important! If it hasn't been used, that could mean its been sitting unplugged with ink in the lines. Lots of variables you need to check out before you buy. What are the applications you're going to run?

Custom Signs

How much is it? Do the heads work, that is super important! If it hasn't been used, that could mean its been sitting unplugged with ink in the lines. Lots of variables you need to check out before you buy. What are the applications you're going to run?
It's a friend of mine and he is asking $6000. It is in Great Condition and yes he keeps it plugged in so it can cycle the ink.

Custom Signs

It's a friend of mine and he is asking $6000. It is in Great Condition and yes he keeps it plugged in so it can cycle the ink.
Oh, and I will be using it for Signs, Banners, Decals and Wraps. Is this unit large enough to do Wraps? I haven't got into wraps yet but I would like to. I am getting lots of calls for them. I was looking at purchasing a 64" unit but this came up and I may not be able to pass it up?

LFC911

In the VS/VSi series and now the VG generation, the 54" is way more popular than the 64" Roland platform.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Oh, and I will be using it for Signs, Banners, Decals and Wraps. Is this unit large enough to do Wraps? I haven't got into wraps yet but I would like to. I am getting lots of calls for them. I was looking at purchasing a 64" unit but this came up and I may not be able to pass it up?

Yes you can do wraps with that no problem. Sounds like a great offer, I would jump on it. (Unless I found a used 300 series latex machine for less lol)

splizaat

$6000 and heads are in good shape? I'd buy it!
We run the hell out of our VS540i and it's a workhorse. We HAVE replaced a head in it...for no apparent reason it started having electrical issues, but other than that, we are all good.

Hopefully it's inked up as dual CMYK. If I could do it all over again I would have gone Dual CMYK on this machine.

NateF

We've had the same machine for 4+ years. If it's in good condition and all nozzles are printing, I'd go for it. You can run everything from banners to wraps to magnets on it.

We've occasionally had an issue with banding. Roland was never able to help us nail it down because it was so intermittent. But it seemed to be related to very low humidity.

Occasionally a weird transparency issue will show up. Either when printing a file that we've designed in Illustrator, or when printing a customer-supplied file. Certain layers will just disappear or the color of a layer underneath will show through. We recently upgraded to Versaworks Dual which was supposed to solve this problem, and I don't think we've seen it since.

Both of these problems were very rare - frustrating when they happened, but something that affected less than 1% of the jobs that we ran. I wouldn't mind going latex eventually, but I'm very happy with this machine.

We switched to Bordeaux inks after our warranty ran out. The only difference that we've noticed is a slightly stronger odor.

I'd recommend a takeup reel if you don't have one. We bought one from Supply55, but I'm not really happy with it. The drive wheels keep wearing out and it's not the most sturdy thing. I wish I had gone with the factory takeup reel instead.

robb1121

$6000 and heads are in good shape? I'd buy it!
We run the hell out of our VS540i and it's a workhorse. We HAVE replaced a head in it...for no apparent reason it started having electrical issues, but other than that, we are all good.

Hopefully it's inked up as dual CMYK. If I could do it all over again I would have gone Dual CMYK on this machine.

You can still switch it to Dual CMYK. We originally had ours set up with white and after about a month we changed our minds. Our dealer sent us flush cartridges and the directions on how to flush the lines and change to Dual CMYK.