• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland VS-640 full ink cartridge sensed as empty

apic

Please Help!

Roland VS-640, brand new Roland ink cartridge, but the printer still senses it as empty. The cartridge itself is recognized that it is installed, but the ink level on the printer's LCD remains zero. We updated the firmware: nothing. We tried different new ink cartridges (with their new IC chips) without any success. The local Roland service replaced the Ink Tank Board, the Cartridge IC Board, the Cartridge Holder Assy, but the error is still the same. The local service practically gave up, they want us to discard the printer. It is 6-7 years old but barely used, almost like new, so this is not an option for us.

I would need help in the following topics:

1.) Is there a reliable Roland Service that can diagnose and finally solve this problem? We are in Largo, Florida.

2.) Could somebody explain the the exact way this printer senses and registers the ink level?

As we understand, the cartridge pushes a micro-switch (called "Ink Cartridge Sensor") that senses the installed cartridge itself. The cartridge has a white plastic tab on its side that comes out when the ink level is close to zero. The tab pushes the "Ink Empty Sensor" that detects whether the cartridge is empty or not. The chip on the cartridge communicates with the "Ink Cartridge IC Sensor" to make sure that the ink is genuine Roland ink.

In our printer, all the above hardware elements were replaced by the service. Even the cables with the MOLEX connectors are new. It seems that somewhere there must be a memory that keeps the calculated ink level that should be reset by a new cartridge chip. If this memory value is "empty" and cannot be reset to "full" the printer won't work. Where is this memory if not on the Ink Tank Board? On the Main Board? Somewhere else? What else can be wrong? It seems impossible that a Roland printer cannot be repaired if it is 6 years old.

Sorry about the lengthy post.

Any help would be really appreciated!!!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Your understanding of the way it senses is correct but one thing is missing. Once the ink end sensor is tripped, the IC chip is flagged as such and will never read anything other than empty again. So if they replaced the cartridge holder and then tried to use the ones you already flagged as empty, everything could be fixed and you just need new chips.

apic

Thank you soooo much! I will order new cartridges and try them. Unfortunately, my colleague just said that the ink level recognition with two colors (Yellow and Magenta slots #1,2 and #7,8) are also unreliable. She pulled out a cartridge, pushed it back and it was recognized as full, but in a second attempt it showed empty. Switching two cartridges (of course the same colors only) the "empty problem" doesn't follow the "empty" cartridge, so it looks like it is not a damaged ink chip.
Is there any way to reset all the empty flags in a printer? With a service software there must be a way... Is that right?

+

apic

Yes, Jim is amazing! He came out and repaired our VS-640. Converted a $25K paperweight into a working printer. He is the only one we will call in the future.
Thank you guys for all your help.

Apic

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
The issue turned out to have nothing to do with the printer, but the Roland OEM ink cartridges themselves. The opening for the ink end tab was just a little too small and didn't allow the ink end sensor arm to line up and drop slightly into the slot. Instead, the arm was pushed out just enough to trip the switch in the ink end sensor. Trimmed the opening just slightly and cartridge showed as full.

FYI, as far as I know the chips on the Roland OEM cartridges only contain ink type, ink color and cartridge volume, i.e., 220ml... Unlike the Mimaki chips, which countdown, expire and get empty.

Last edited:

apic

"The opening for the ink end tab was just a little too small and didn't allow the ink end sensor arm to line up and drop slightly into the slot."

Since the ink end tab moves out at least 1/4" (6-7 mm) from the cartridge when the ink pouch is empty, I don't see the reason why should the sensor arm even drop into the slot. A 1/4" movement is more than enough to trip a switch or activate an optical sensor. The sensor arm should be hidden; totally out of the way of the cartridge.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
When the cartridge is completely inserted into the ink bay, it positions the ink end sensor arm very close to the trip point when correctly aligned in the slot. The body of the cartridge apparently pushes the arm past the trip point until the cartridge is completely inserted, at which point it should be lined up with and slightly inserted in the ink tab slot and the switch is no longer tripped. Yes, the tab may come out 1/4" when the cartridge is empty, but this is out of the printer, correct? When in the printer, the force the tab exerts on the switch as the tab comes out must overcome the spring pressure built into the sensor arm. At least this is how I believe this mechanism functions based on my observations.

MP Custom

The issue turned out to have nothing to do with the printer, but the Roland OEM ink cartridges themselves. The opening for the ink end tab was just a little too small and didn't allow the ink end sensor arm to line up and drop slightly into the slot. Instead, the arm was pushed out just enough to trip the switch in the ink end sensor. Trimmed the opening just slightly and cartridge showed as full.

FYI, as far as I know the chips on the Roland OEM cartridges only contain ink type, ink color and cartridge volume, i.e., 220ml... Unlike the Mimaki chips, which countdown, expire and get empty.
Thank you so much for posting the Fix!

apic

"When in the printer, the force the tab exerts on the switch as the tab comes out must overcome the spring pressure built into the sensor arm."

I totally agree. An optical sensor (with zero force requirement) would have solved this issue. Anyway, our printer is working now. Thanks again.