• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland VS Epson

Quickpoint9

So I've been searching the new market for a Roland SG-540 my sales rep is trying to sell me on a new epson s40-600

how does this machine compare to the Roland any experience with both models here?

I was wanting the Roland because of it being a print/cut less floor space take. Up but slower due to reloading the job only print 1 job at a time

I can get the epson and a cutter for about the same price as the Roland but another machine takes more floor space

Thanks in advance

Mysticalvibes

Can't advise between the 2 brands but can say we've replaced our Roland xr640 with a separate printer and cutter and think it's great. Lost a bit of much needed floor space but can now print on one machine while the other cuts so the floor space sacrifice was worth it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If you have the floor space the separate printer cutter setup is better for workflow. As far as the printers go, the Epson is about twice as fast at the same quality. The Epson also has a higher max resolution at 1440x1440 where as the Roland is 900x900. Since most people don't print higher than 720x720 most of the time, that isn't that big of a difference. I would go with the one that has the best price, warranty and proximity to a good tech and supplies.

usdsoccer

What we liked about the Epson was the rewards program where you can earn points towards discounted/free service plans for 5 years of coverage. Also, the speed and ability to laminate same day is really nice.

ProColorGraphics

Once you go to a separate printer and cutter, you will wonder why you ever had a single unit in the first place!! The speed to due things is so much faster! 95% of what I do is laminated, so it has to come out, then get loaded back up anyways. I have a S70 and a S80 and LOVE them!! Go with the Epson.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
1. Roland print or cut. Great machine, lots of metal, last for long long time.

2. Epson, lots of plastic, will not last you many years like Roland. But works fine in the beginning. It is made to be replaced. My customer's Epson Surecolor S has much stronger solvent smell than Roland. He has a 1600 sq ft shop.

Go with Roland. Can't go wrong.

Quickpoint9

so i went down and demoed both Epson s60-600 roland sg-540 and the vg-540 the prints off the epson had way better detail and was printed in about half the time it took to rolands to print at the same pass rate etc less banding. so ive pulled the trigger and ordered the Epson.... there trying to sell me on ONYX postershop any one have dealngs with this program ive never messed with it

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
so i went down and demoed both Epson s60-600 roland sg-540 and the vg-540 the prints off the epson had way better detail and was printed in about half the time it took to rolands to print at the same pass rate etc less banding. so ive pulled the trigger and ordered the Epson.... there trying to sell me on ONYX postershop any one have dealngs with this program ive never messed with it

We made the same decision. The Epson just exceeds the Roland in every department. Speed, colour, resolution. Onyx is excellent once you learn how to use it properly. It's a complex piece of software but allows absolute control of everything you can possibly imagine.

rjssigns

IMO the interface for Onyx is overly complex, and has a steep learning curve. I run it in the lab at school.

Robert M

Anyone know what is different about the New Roland SG-300 series vs. the older VP-300 series. After reading this post I looked at the Roland site and noted that the SG 300 had a top speed of 100 square feet per hour, isn't that slower than their older models? Most all other printers (Epson, Mutoh, Mimaki) in the single head price range are quoting 600+ top speeds. Now I know top speeds are not often used, but it still seems to me that Roland's are getting slower.

rjssigns

Anyone know what is different about the New Roland SG-300 series vs. the older VP-300 series. After reading this post I looked at the Roland site and noted that the SG 300 had a top speed of 100 square feet per hour, isn't that slower than their older models? Most all other printers (Epson, Mutoh, Mimaki) in the single head price range are quoting 600+ top speeds. Now I know top speeds are not often used, but it still seems to me that Roland's are getting slower.

Yes they seem to have gotten slower, but I didn't dig into the specs too far. Since we're on the subject of speed. I wonder if anyone has an EJ-640 with the DG series ink. Haven't heard a peep from anyone on the board.