• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland XC-540 - 3 of 6 print heads not printing at all

MarcusB

I have a strange issue with my xc-540. It's been sitting for a while unfortunately, maybe a year. It's been plugged in and every few months I do a full manual cleaning.

Here's the issue:
KcPJ7g9.jpg

I'm trying to prepare it to sell but I need everything up and running. 3 out of 6 of my print heads I can't seem to get a single drop of ink to come out. I replaced the caps, replaced wipers and dampners, which all pulled ink through, so I know the tubes aren't clogged from the cartridge to the dampner. I made sure the ink cartridges had ink, etc. But what I'm noticing is not a single drop of ink is getting through 3 of the print heads. I soaked the heads for about 2 to 3 hours, tried powerful cleaning, regular cleaning, manual cleaning, etc but still nothing. I took scrap material and printed a variety of colors in hopes it would eventually spit it out but it hasn't.

Curious what other steps I can take? I bought clear tubing to replace in case some are clogged but I'm not sure if that will fix anything? Should I soak the heads longer than 3 hours?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Check the lines from the caps to the pumps. Go into the maintenance cleaning mode so the print head carriage is at the other end of the printer and the caps are exposed. Attach a syringe on the individual line from the caps for the magenta, yellow and light cyan caps and see if you can pull freely. You will need to disconnect each line at the Y fitting that goes to the pump. If you encounter any resistance, you have a clogged cap line. Replace the offending caps.

Joe House

It's been sitting for a while unfortunately, maybe a year. It's been plugged in and every few months I do a full manual cleaning.
Unfortunately, this level of maintenance and usage doesn't cut it. You've got one head in each group printing, so you don't have blown fuses. If you haven't been messing with cables, or ink lines or anything physically, then you probably just have clogged heads. I would start with replacing the cap tops then try what Jim suggested. Also, don't forget to physically check the ink levels in the cartridges, you could be out of ink - hopefully it's as simple as that.

Good Luck

Chanman

I have a strange issue with my xc-540. It's been sitting for a while unfortunately, maybe a year. It's been plugged in and every few months I do a full manual cleaning.

Here's the issue:
KcPJ7g9.jpg

I'm trying to prepare it to sell but I need everything up and running. 3 out of 6 of my print heads I can't seem to get a single drop of ink to come out. I replaced the caps, replaced wipers and dampners, which all pulled ink through, so I know the tubes aren't clogged from the cartridge to the dampner. I made sure the ink cartridges had ink, etc. But what I'm noticing is not a single drop of ink is getting through 3 of the print heads. I soaked the heads for about 2 to 3 hours, tried powerful cleaning, regular cleaning, manual cleaning, etc but still nothing. I took scrap material and printed a variety of colors in hopes it would eventually spit it out but it hasn't.

Curious what other steps I can take? I bought clear tubing to replace in case some are clogged but I'm not sure if that will fix anything? Should I soak the heads longer than 3 hours?

Thanks in advance.
DID YOU EVER FIGURE OUT WHAT THE PROBLEM YOU ENCOUNTERED?