• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland xc-540 Head Issues (registration issues solved...sort of)

BigJerm

Ok, so I just did a head replace after trying to just replace the head adapters. Some how the head dried up while running the BIAS/VERTICAL TEST PRINT. Now for some reason we've maxed out the cyan coming to me (down). I tried to move the black up but it appears to not even move. Any ideas or suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20180220_094638967.jpg
    IMG_20180220_094638967.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 604

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
When doing the alignments, all heads are aligned to the black head. The black head has an extra screw that holds it in place so it shouldn't move. If the Cyan is not moving it could be a couple things. The most obvious one is you have to loosen the 3 head screws for it to move. If those are still tight, it won't move. Also, some times ink has just built up under the head bracket and keeps it from moving like glue. Clean it out and it should move. If all else fails you can take the extra screw out of the black head and move it but then you will have to re-align all of the heads so only do it if you have to.

BigJerm

When doing the alignments, all heads are aligned to the black head. The black head has an extra screw that holds it in place so it shouldn't move. If the Cyan is not moving it could be a couple things. The most obvious one is you have to loosen the 3 head screws for it to move. If those are still tight, it won't move. Also, some times ink has just built up under the head bracket and keeps it from moving like glue. Clean it out and it should move. If all else fails you can take the extra screw out of the black head and move it but then you will have to re-align all of the heads so only do it if you have to.
I'll give it a shot! Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

BigJerm

One other thing though, I'm fairly certain that all of them were clean. Except maybe the black. I cleaned them up when I installed the manifolds. I changed them all except the black.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
One other thing though, I'm fairly certain that all of them were clean. Except maybe the black. I cleaned them up when I installed the manifolds. I changed them all except the black.

Yeah sometimes when you change all of the heads you run into this issue. If you can't get the cyan to go any lower, you might as well move the black head. It's just a pain in the butt because you will have to go back and re-do vertical on the other heads.

BigJerm

I guess if I'm doing that I may as well change out that last adapter as well. Just to verify, the screw you're referring to is the one that comes from the bottom side in the front?

BigJerm

Yeah sometimes when you change all of the heads you run into this issue. If you can't get the cyan to go any lower, you might as well move the black head. It's just a pain in the butt because you will have to go back and re-do vertical on the other heads.
Is it possible to move it too much? It appears as though the band has gotten shorter on both top and bottom of the test print. I'd take a pic but I'm out to lunch. Almost as if it's missing two lines, top and bottom.

BigJerm

Is it possible to move it too much? It appears as though the band has gotten shorter on both top and bottom of the test print. I'd take a pic but I'm out to lunch. Almost as if it's missing two lines, top and bottom.

Here's a pic.
62a0327fe2735ba710b74ac3f2d2448f.jpg

BigJerm

you need to recover your nozzles with cleanings and get a full test print before attempting to do alignments
I've tried doing a manual cleaning and manually priming the head. It is not changing. I'm really new to this. But I understand the basics of how this works. Is there any recommended alternatives to recovering these heads? Now my magenta is starting to drop as well. The light cyan head is brand new. It shows some dropping out as well. [emoji43]
527902615114575001e3b9e456ee8a95.jpg

BigJerm

I'm really at a loss and just need some advice from some experienced users. Forgive me if some of the lingoes I use is not the appropriate choices. I just picked up the position in Large Format when the guy that used to run the department quit for his dream job in photography. When the machine is running good I really have no issues.

Only recently did I start having issues with ink dripping onto my media. All I did was go down the list in the service menu to try and fix the issue. It was also time for yearly maintenance. I changed out the dampers, wiper blades, wiper blade cleaners, and cap tops. After doing that the dampers were kind of messed up. The o-ring on the outtake was slightly out of place. I took them off and put them in back in the way they are supposed to be.

I know that at some point I had to attempt to move the black (I was unaware of the set screw). While loosening the screws, the adapters broke. I'd just barely have pressure on them and they would snap at the connection for the dampers. I got those and replaced them. That's why I ended up having to do the BIAS/VERT HEAD ADJUST. While attempting to do the adjustment I'd start dropping dots. I'd do a manual cleaning to try and get them back.

Eventually, the head was entirely clogged and there was no shaking it back. I even attempted a head soak. At that point, I got a new head. Already this head is clogged too. I just keep cleaning and cleaning. My point is I just keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. In theory, it should have cleared the clogs but in the end, it only made things worse. Is there something else I might be missing here? I really need help. I'd love to be the hero of the day! Any and all advice is excepted and appreciated. If you need any further info just ask. I check back on this post regularly. TIA

C5 Service&Repair

I'd say your cap tops are bad, the pump is going out, or when you installed one of the heads, you didn't get it seated correctly and its causing the other heads to not contact their cap top correctly. Move the carriage out to the platen and look underneath and insure that all the heads are aligned level to the platen, and level with one another.
If that's all good, then remove the cap top hoses from the pumps one by one and hook a syringe to them and make sure there is resistance, and that ink flows into your syringe. If the syringe just pulls real easy with no resistance and you don't get any ink, then the heads aren't seated to the captop correctly.

BigJerm

Apparently, the drain hoses were clogged. I had no idea this was something I even needed to check. I got all colors except black back after that. Now I'm going to try to switch out a cyan and black head to see if it's the head. Again, thanks for all the help!

BigJerm

Result of the test, black head is dead. Thank you everyone for at least trying to help.