• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Roland XC-540 or Roland VS-540

slipperyfrog

XC-540 or VS-540?

Looking at two used machines and they are the same price. They are both in good working order. I'm not new to the sign industry but new to wide format printing. The main focus of the machine would be covering my own print needs with rental signs I produce and then having the ability to add on other products that I currently outsource. Having better control of rush/custom work is a big factor. Alternatively would any seasoned Roland users mind jumping on a quick phone call or private message to discuss?

Opinions to which would be the better route to go?

Troy Lesher

Merchant Member
XC-540 or VS-540?

Looking at two used machines and they are the same price. They are both in good working order. I'm not new to the sign industry but new to wide format printing. The main focus of the machine would be covering my own print needs with rental signs I produce and then having the ability to add on other products that I currently outsource. Having better control of rush/custom work is a big factor. Alternatively would any seasoned Roland users mind jumping on a quick phone call or private message to discuss?

XC-540 or VS-540?

the VP -540 was introduced in 2009 and in 2015 Roland ended support (End of life)
the XC Pro III was introduced in 2012 and Roland ended Support in October 2018 (end of life.
XC-540 or VS-540?

The VP-540 was introduced in March 2009, Roland EOL (end of life) that printer in 2015
the XC 540 (Pro III) was introduced in 2012 and Roland EOL in 2018.
So the XC is actually 3 years newer than the VP.

Also the VP-540 is CMYK only and has 4 Dx4 Epson built heads
the XC-540 is CMYK LcLm and has 6 -Dx4 Epson built heads

Both very solid printers just the pro is much more robust and is a production printer , so much faster.

Most Local roland mimaki,mutoh dealers can still service this printer, some of the boards may be a little harder to find, but plenty of 3rd party supplies to keep one running, (encoders, cut strips, heads, dampers etc.)and the 3rd party inks have gotten much better over the years for these platforms.

slipperyfrog

the VP -540 was introduced in 2009 and in 2015 Roland ended support (End of life)
the XC Pro III was introduced in 2012 and Roland ended Support in October 2018 (end of life.

The VP-540 was introduced in March 2009, Roland EOL (end of life) that printer in 2015

Both very solid printers just the pro is much more robust and is a production printer , so much faster.

Most Local roland mimaki,mutoh dealers can still service this printer, some of the boards may be a little harder to find, but plenty of 3rd party supplies to keep one running, (encoders, cut strips, heads, dampers etc.)and the 3rd party inks have gotten much better over the years for these platforms.

I think you mixed up the model number on the VP. I was looking at the VS-540 so the end of production would have been November 2013 and end of support November 2019.

Thanks for the points on the XC 540. I'm usually a get the bigger one first kind of guy but in this case I'm leaning towards smaller and newer. I still have some research to do based on the capital I have available.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Looks like you misread the VS as the VP. I have made the same mistake plenty of times! The VS has a DX7 head and is much newer than the XC.

Troy Lesher

Merchant Member
Are there major differences between the VS-540 and the VS-540i?
You are correct, I did misread, my apologies. Solvent inkjet is correct on the differences between the stand and the "i" series. primarily a firmware update that allows for a different waveform for better prints at lower pass counts.

CanuckSigns

Plot thickens.

What about the comparison of VS-540 vs VG-540 with upgraded TrueVis2 inks?

if it is one of the early VG printers, avoid it at all costs, Roland pushed them out to market long before they ironed out the bugs, I think the new ones are OK now, but the first run of the Tru-Vis printers were horrible, I had 3 replaced under warrantee, ask me how I know...