• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

roland xf-640 not measuring full length

flyplainsdrifta

hey guys i really hope someone can help me here. this morning i come in, load up a 38" roll and hit set up. the carriage comes across to measure but is consistently coming up about 2 and a half inches short. its kind of locking me into place unfortunately. does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this sort of thing?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I'm not too familiar with that specific model but a lot of Roland machines don't measure the material directly but measure where the pinch rollers are located. If your pinch roller is not on the edge of the material it will measure short. Also, run the environmental match and see if that helps at all.

flyplainsdrifta

Actually just figured it out after attempting a print and realizing I was getting a bit of skew in the print that it was encoder strip. Ran a 30 roll job last week so it makes sense. Did a lengthy cleaning and we’re pretty much all better

Joe House

I'm not too familiar with that specific model but a lot of Roland machines don't measure the material directly but measure where the pinch rollers are located. If your pinch roller is not on the edge of the material it will measure short. Also, run the environmental match and see if that helps at all.
Vander, (and others) on Roland print only devices, the pinch wheel setup is similar to, say, a Mutoh- not moveable and relatively a solid row of wheels.
The use am optical sensor on the carriage to measure the actual media. So typical problems with this system are (usually in this order in my experience)
1. Ink buildup on the reflective strip under the media
2. Ink/ dust buildup on the encoder strip
3. Ink/ dust buildup on the paper side sensor

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk