• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ROLAND XR-640 WASTING LOADS OF INK

I have a problem of the XR-640 automatically dumping inks in the waste bottle even when it's not connected to the mains. This has happened three times now. What could cause this and what should I do to stop this waste of ink? I will appreciate any useful advice.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
I have a problem of the XR-640 automatically dumping inks in the waste bottle even when it's not connected to the mains. This has happened three times now. What could cause this and what should I do to stop this waste of ink? I will appreciate any useful advice.

How much is the ink wasted?

FrankW

Could be a problem with the cap tops or ink pumps. Could happen when the tubes of the cappings wont be emptied completely during cleaning.

SignShopDave

FrankW

The best way is to take care of the condition of your printer. It is suggested to replace the cap tops every 6 months, 12 months is ok too, but if they are older, you can run into that trouble.

SignShopDave

The best way is to take care of the condition of your printer. It is suggested to replace the cap tops every 6 months, 12 months is ok too, but if they are older, you can run into that trouble.
not sure if you were referring to my problem also. if you can help here is the story on mine.

The cap tops and everything was changed 2 weeks before this started happening. It all started when i bought the machine (used) a certified tech replaced the cap tops and station etc and when it arrived to my shop it ran for 2 days. Then I kept getting the 0104 error. they came out replaced everything again and the 0104 error went on for about 2 weeks (3 or 4 trips for them to fix). they replaced everything again including motor and sensor and then then one week later it dumped the inks for the first time. they came out replaced the inks and did some adjustments and it ran for about 7 months. 4 weeks ago i came in one morning to the 0104 error and the 123456789 error. I replaced the inks started the machine no errors. 15 min later the 0104 error. i called the tech they don't know what would cause the problem as they tried everything before. 2 hours later i found my inks had drained again all of them brand new.... got new inks it ran fine for a few weeks and Friday i printed a few things fine went to do some artwork and heard the beep beep beep. 12345789 error and all inks were drained again. that is the whole story. no head strikes or jams on printer. I do print with it just about every day but only about 5 feet or so. so there is not a lot of wear on parts i would not think,

does this help in identifying the problem?

FrankW

The issue is: when ink remains in the tubes, there could be a negative pressure who pulls the inks out of the cartridges. Regularly Rolands run the pumps to empty the tubes of the cappings. If your caps are ok, perhaps you have an issue with the ink pumps.