• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ronan: Japan Color VS Aquacoat

luis1paint

Hello everyone,

First, let me start off by apologizing. I am very new to this and I'm really uninformed.

I've narrowed my search down to this brand for an upcoming mural job I have. I understand that Superfine is lead-free and Aquacoat is water-based. My question is which of these has a more opaque coating? I need to outline and finalize the details on this mural using a brush. Everything else is going to be painted using acrylic spray paint (mtn 94) and some latex house paint.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience using both?

Lastly, what's a relatively good brush (that's not a Rosco) I can purchase at an art store to do some details and outlines?

Thank you so much, and again.
So sorry!

Johnny Best

Nova colors. Acrylic water base for doing murals. Any synthetic brush of any size will do. That depends on how big or small amount of paint you are using.

luis1paint

Nova colors. Acrylic water base for doing murals. Any synthetic brush of any size will do. That depends on how big or small amount of paint you are using.

Thanks for your response johnny, but I was trying to choose between the two Ronan brands. If anyone has any help with these I would greatly appreciate it.

Joe House

Thanks for your response johnny, but I was trying to choose between the two Ronan brands. If anyone has any help with these I would greatly appreciate it.
Luis, if you're new and uninformed, why are you deciding to limit yourself to Ronan paints. Johnny has a lot of experience and if you're looking to grow in this business, you really shouldn't dismiss his (or anyone's who's been doing this for some time) advice. If you came here to learn, you should listen. If no one else has jumped on this to offer an opinion since Monday they either don't use the Ronan paints or don't like it.

luis1paint

Luis, if you're new and uninformed, why are you deciding to limit yourself to Ronan paints. Johnny has a lot of experience and if you're looking to grow in this business, you really shouldn't dismiss his (or anyone's who's been doing this for some time) advice. If you came here to learn, you should listen. If no one else has jumped on this to offer an opinion since Monday they either don't use the Ronan paints or don't like it.

Hey Joe,

Thanks for your response.

I made the choice to use Ronan after doing my own research, looking at my budget for the project, shipping time, and combing through this board. I did find that a lot of people here do use Ronan colors Aquacote but never found anything on superfine japan colors.

I ended up just calling the company and made my decision to go with the Aquacote because the start window vs shipping was closing in.

I do understand that the Nova colors are a preferred water-based paint and are probably much better quality. But as I said, I had a bunch of other factors that went into my decision I could not workaround.

I really do appreciate everyone's time in responding and even reading this thread. I'll post some images when the project is finished in two weeks.

luis1paint

These are the final images of our project. Used Ronan Aquacote for the white and black, MTN 94 for the background colors.

I was hired to assist in background painting and sourcing materials but ended up doing a lot more than that.

This job had so many hiccups ranging from poor organization from the organizers and poor weather to none of the collaborators having any experience painting murals. Probably the worst combination you could possibly have doing a job like this.

It's not the best I've painted, but it was the best out of the other murals.

Thanks to everyone again for reading and leaving feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_5477 copy 2a.jpg
    IMG_5477 copy 2a.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5476a.jpg
    IMG_5476a.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 84

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, looks good, but I have a question.

The 3 vehicles in the background are identical in each photo. The placement and everything else is exactly the same. But your murals are different colors and a different word. Those look like cement structures. How does that work ??

luis1paint

Yeah, looks good, but I have a question.

The 3 vehicles in the background are identical in each photo. The placement and everything else is exactly the same. But your murals are different colors and a different word. Those look like cement structures. How does that work ??

Good eye Gino!

The barricades are actually next to each other but I had to stitch one of them together in photoshop because of a pole. So the background looked weird because it was taken from 2 angles. So what I did to fix that was copy and paste the background from the first photo which wasn't altered because there was nothing obstructing the mural. ;)