• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rooting for This

WildWestDesigns

Came across this website yesterday.

Most on here know my stance on this nonsense of "not owning anything", particularly as it applies to hardware (closed source software, never really owned it, but did have more control over it via licensing then we do now) and hardware at a premium cost at that.

Not perfect for every use case as it is now, but definitely something that I hope gets traction, so then they could have something to fit more needs, as the selection grows for upgrade parts.

The closest that I have to something like this is the ErgoDox EZ keyboard that I have. It's a great keyboard (takes awhile to get used to it though), but fully serviceable by the end user. All using common switches and wires that have been on the marketplace for decades.

rjssigns

Nice. I think there will be more products like this as the right to repair movement grows. I watched a few videos of farmers hacking their combines, tractors, and other farm equipment. Too expensive and too much downtime to bring it into the dealer to hook up to the computer so we can "fix it".

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Nice to see.

I repair quite a few of my electronics. Just replaced the screen on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 and have replaced batteries in the past. Thanks to the internet, you can find parts and how-to videos on just about anything.

When I buy a laptop, I make sure the ram is upgradeable and buy the least amount possible. Most charge double or triple the actual cost of the ram and they are easy to put in.

WildWestDesigns

I watched a few videos of farmers hacking their combines, tractors, and other farm equipment. Too expensive and too much downtime to bring it into the dealer to hook up to the computer so we can "fix it".

To go along with this, I had a JD 650 (something that's barely a tractor) that was from the 80s. I sold it for more then it originally cost. Why? Because it was all mechanical, not electrical (other then the radio and tape deck that I wired up for it). That was for a small compact utility tractor, imagine what it is like for the more expensive rigs?

I saw a video, I think it was from Nebraska, where right to repair was being heard (I think from 2017) and the person overseeing the proceedings, could barely keep from breaking out in laughter. Well in 2019, she was ousted by a farmer and that same bill is back on the docket.

There are huge campaigns by companies to keep this stuff from getting thru and there is a huge divide between the average person and the political class. It's probably going to take things like this to come into the market place and give people options. Sure some won't care, they'll want their name brand whatever.

rjssigns

To go along with this, I had a JD 650 (something that's barely a tractor) that was from the 80s. I sold it for more then it originally cost. Why? Because it was all mechanical, not electrical (other then the radio and tape deck that I wired up for it). That was for a small compact utility tractor, imagine what it is like for the more expensive rigs?

I saw a video, I think it was from Nebraska, where right to repair was being heard (I think from 2017) and the person overseeing the proceedings, could barely keep from breaking out in laughter. Well in 2019, she was ousted by a farmer and that same bill is back on the docket.

There are huge campaigns by companies to keep this stuff from getting thru and there is a huge divide between the average person and the political class. It's probably going to take things like this to come into the market place and give people options. Sure some won't care, they'll want their name brand whatever.

Absolutely agree and the trend is worrisome. My belief is manufacturers are going to lock down their products with proprietary code so you will have no choice but to bring it in.
Back door way of crafting a residual income stream for the life of the product.

My old diesel F350 is still worth a ton of money because there are no emissions whatsoever and only the fuel injection is electronic. Even that is stone age compared to the new stuff and I like it that way.;)

WildWestDesigns

My belief is manufacturers are going to lock down their products with proprietary code so you will have no choice but to bring it in.

There was a deal with a big right to repair bill that was passed some time back that wifi stuff could be exempt from right to repair.

Well, now everything is going wireless to take advantage of that loophole.

Back door way of crafting a residual income stream for the life of the product.

Yep, and it's that that gave birth to SaaS as well. Iterating versus innovating.

My old diesel F350 is still worth a ton of money because there are no emissions whatsoever and only the fuel injection is electronic. Even that is stone age compared to the new stuff and I like it that way.;)

7.3 PSD it sounds like (diesel nerd here as well, my first truck was my granddad's 6.9 back in the 80s, rattled the teeth out of your head, but boy was that a nice truck). I did like my 6.0 (one of the few freaks that did, bigger injectors, bigger turbo, bigger fuel pump, put down 508 HP at the rear wheels (all 4 of them)). Had a 6.7 but rarely drove it. It was very nice, just got rid of it early this with with 20k, had 1k already on the clock and I bought it new in 2014. So hardly drove that one. Emissions were a pain though, O2 sensors on a diesel, no bueno.

Last edited:

rjssigns

There was a deal with a big right to repair bill that was passed some time back that wifi stuff could be exempt from right to repair.

Well, now everything is going wireless to take advantage of that loophole.

Yep, and it's that that gave birth to SaaS as well. Iterating versus innovating.

7.3 PSD it sounds like (diesel nerd here as well, my first truck was my granddad's 6.9 back in the 80s, rattled the teeth out of your head, but boy was that a nice truck). I did like my 6.0 (one of the few freaks that did, bigger injectors, bigger turbo, bigger fuel pump, put down 508 HP at the rear wheels (all 4 of them)). Had a 6.7 but rarely drove it. It was very nice, just got rid of it early this with with 20k, had 1k already on the clock and I bought it new in 2014. So hardly drove that one. Emissions were a pain though, O2 sensors on a diesel, no bueno.

You sir are correct. 7.3 PSD. Only has 107000 rounds on it. Practically raised it from a pup. I plan to keep it as long as humanly possible.

SaaS is bad for students. They shouldn't have to pay for Adobe CC or cloud anything until after they graduate. It also creates version issues as I stated in an earlier post.

As it stands I can get 99% of my jobs out with Flexi Pro that I own. Also been learning Affinity Designer. Quite good and only getting better.